CHAPTER 9

The chow hall was a place where people barely went to eat. They mainly went to do business with guys in other dorms. Socks stuffed in between their legs closer to their balls than the skin that held them. Today I didn't go to eat either though, I wanted to know who Gabe did business with. I wanted to shut down every one of his operations and strip him of his power. He had to feel how I felt when I was weak before I was alone. I was determined for every single soul to see his true colors on their own and want to cut him off by any means. "Aye man you OG son I heard." Nothing pissed me off more than people talking to me like they knew me. If he knew anything about me he would not have made that statement. But prison was like life, people would form their own opinions about you based on the bull shit another person would tell them. See if I would of beat his ass I would have been wrong. He would have said some shit like, "OG get ya son man." It was obvious I had no dealings with Gabe. Not only were we on different sides of the chow hall at the moment, but I know for a fact word had already traveled about our run in. There are two ways to deal with people like this though, ignore them or set them straight. In prison you had to do the latter, in order for a motha fucka to respect your boundaries and your name you had to set shit straight during your first encounter. You would get ran over or be considered friendly. A lot of these motha fuckas were friendly because they not only ran in packs but they laughed, ignored and let shit slide out of fear of the next mans actions. I wasn't the I'll let you slide type nor was I the motha fucka to kee kee in another mans presence. So I turned around put my arm over his shoulder and in the calmest voice said, "Say look out homie I know for a fact you know the deal about that situation so it's no need for me to break shit down for you. Ask yourself do you want to receive the ass whoopin yo puss ass OG should have, or do you want to move the fuck around and act like this conversation never happened." I wasn't with the antagonizing conversations I could tell a motha fucka I would kill them and be laughing like we was catching up. I didn't do crowds and I didn't need a crowd. I wanted the least amount of people to feel like I was a threat. I wanted to seem simp while learning about as many motha fuckas as I could that semi or fully socialized with Gabe. This dude wasn't a businessman though, he was more of a junky that loved drama. I could tell by his unkempt appearance he was more of a dope boys favorite customer. He was black and ashy, eyes bulging out of his head scanning the room every 5 seconds and scratching at his arms. His curiosity and unnecessary involvement in another mans mess showed me he was indeed a flunky and a junky. His eyes told it all, he'd realized his interest in my shit wasn't a situation he wanted to constantly pry in. He shuffled to the back of the line where he met wit a pack of dudes, they most likely put him up to the inquisitive cross examination that he failed to retrieve any decent information from for them. To bad bitch. I wasn't too much worried about him telling them I threatened them cause if push came to shove I'd threaten them too. "Aye vato I barely got that shit you wanted just now, Damn near for hemmed up coming out his cell when Officer Juarez saw me comin' our. But she got the hot for ya boy Queso so I sweet talked myself out that shit." This dude talked a lot, I didn't care if he got caught or not I just needed that information in my hand. I never uttered a word I just looked at him in a manner that obviously said , I don't give a fuck where my shit. He handed me a folded up wet piece of paper that he pulled from the inside of his shirt. I was going to wait to open it, guards did not allow contraband to be read in the chow hall. I'd be damned if I was going to let it be confiscated cause I was eager to read it. "Aye vato I'm bout to head back to the dorms and wash my ass before I call mí amor." This was my opportunity, I could go hang Queso before any of the other offenders got back to the dorm. I watched him leave the chow hall and grabbed my tray eating the slop in less than 60 seconds, then I got up from the table and exited myself. Walking down the sidewalk with my hands behind my back made me feel like I wasn't in control of my own life. Small rules like this made a man want to do everything in his power to stay out of prison. No matter my plans I was not going to over stay my welcome. As I got closer to the building I noticed several officers running through the front door yelling for everyone to get on the ground. We only had to get on the ground when there were medical emergencies or fights broke out. The officers didn't want to be caught off guard when trying to diffuse a situation or coming to someone's aide. So I sat down with the sun beaming on my head and sidewalk burning my ass for damn near an hour. My hair was sticking to my face but I still saw the warden walking briskly into the building. Something had to be terribly wrong. 15 more minutes, 30 more minutes then a gurney was rolled out with a sheet thrown over a body. Followed by 4 officers pushing it towards medical. We still hadn't gotten the clear to stand and proceed with our day so something more had happened. Then not even five minutes later a inmate came out handcuffed with the remaining officers following him as the warden spoke to the Sargent. I couldn't believe my eyes, the the ashy dude from the chow hall was the one being escorted away. He had blood covering the entire front side of his jumper, a officer held something in a plastic bag that looked like a shank. I laughed as I thought to myself whoever let a junky kill them was not on their best shit. "STAND UP MOVE ALONG INMATES." I stood brushing the loose pebble dust off my ass and sweat away from my forehead. Only thing on my mind at this particular moment was reading that information Queso had gotten me. "Offender are you Diaz' roommate?" I stopped dead in my tracks noticing my cell was marked off with caution tape. I was confused, because I knew the guard was about to tell me my roommate was the one under that sheet but I wanted to know why. "You can't touch anything in that cell until they come take pictures of the crime scene so sit out in the dayroom for now." Queso didn't seem like he had beef with any body on the unit, at least not the arm scratching' junky. I sat on the bench to finally take a look at the information. When I opened it I noticed Queso had wrote a letter and put it on top of the information. It said, " Aye vato watch your back Gabe May be on to you. Don't believe shit you see these mother fuckers are smarter than you think. When I was coming out of Gabe's cell I was not only questioned by Juarez' fine ass but someone else saw me, Yak. So I'm writing you this shit to lace you up shit is not what it seems. Keep ya eyes open Gabe's boys are thicker than you think and I know this mother fucker is going to come after me.  To his knowledge I was just looking for Gabe. Don't worry I hand wrote everything so nothing will be missing if they were to look. Yak may look like a junky but he really smart and a even mo' crazier mother fucker with a eczema problem wei. He will do any thing for Gabe cause not only does he respect the fuck out of him he's his older son with the dama that comes to see him."