CHAPTER 4

BUG
"Thank you officer, yes I will let my wife know." Mama had always told me my Grammy and Grandppie didn't get along but as I looked at them now it seemed like the disappearance of mama must have brought them closer. "Well it looks as if Gabe is fleeing. The van that we saw at the hotel was abandoned on the side of the road. So there's no way to know what vehicle he may be driving." I knew mama would be ok, we'd tried to run before but all Daddy Gabe did was not feed her for two days. "The police said there was a ping on his credit card just west of here so that may be helpful." I was playing with my cars and was just about to make one do a backflip when Grammy came over and stared at me. I don't know what she was thinking but the longer she looked the harder she cried. "He looks just like her." She got up and walked past Grandppie out of the living room. He just stood there looking
down with his hands shoved deeply into his blue jean pockets before he looked up and said, "You hungry buddy?"

SWEET

He was mad I could tell, before we switched cars he hadn't spoke a word and now as we rode down the deserted highway there was nothing but silence. I looked out of the window hoping that they'd got bugs letter. I hoped that they would keep him until we were reunited and I hoped he was ok. This was our first time in his life that we had been apart. I had a emptiness for me that was filled with hope for him. I wanted him to have a life that consisted of more than confinement. I wanted him to spread his little wings whenever he wanted, wanted him to swing as high as he could and feel the wind blow through his hair. He was free and if I had to starve for days just for that to happen then so be it. We pulled up to the dark house, I'd been here once before. The old house covered with tall grass and huge trees once housed us when Daddy Gabe's paranoia got to him. We rarely came but I knew the inside and out like I slept here every night. He stopped the heavily tinted sedan and just stared out of the window for what seemed like hours before he said, "Get the fuck out." I was scared of Gabe but I was not terrified of him so I did as I was told. He walked behind me scanning the perimeter like we could disappear if we were indeed spotted. As soon as we entered the house for the first time since he had me I witnessed his anger. The first hit to the back of the head hurt so badly that it made the next hits feel like a massage. "You have defied me too many times...." I knew better than to say anything so I just layed there as he unleashed his anger. He turned me over and now face to face with him he roughly snatched my bottoms away. I left my body as I numbed the exterior of existence and whimpered in silence. My baby was free, I thought about him bathing in a real tub while he played with his toys. Gabe pumped faster and harder into me but the pain was nonexistent as images of Bug's smile flashed through my mind. He would never have to deal with the crippling of his dreams that Gabe concreted into my mind. He was getting tired now as he leaned into me still pumping but slower now. I could never be free, even if I somehow was liberated from Gabe's cruel imprisonment he would still own me mentally. "Ok baby now what do we do before we lay down?" I asked Bug as he looked up at me happy to know the answer, "We pray mama for everyone even Daddy Gabe." Gabe stood up looking down on me like I was the one who'd just raped, battered and snatched someone of the only happiness they still had. He lifted my body up and bent me over on the couch. "And God please let Daddy Gabe bring my mama home." Just like that my baby's face vanished as I closed my eyes and Gabe prepared me for round two.

BUG
"The police think they have a lead stay here with baby boy I'm going with them." I could hear my Grammy kiss Grandppie as she said "Jabari please be careful and bring our baby girl back to me." The sound of a kiss was followed by the closing of a door as Grammy locked it shut. I laid there thinking about mama, she would only call me Bug never Gabe. She would always say my secret name was Jabari. Grammy peeked in on me and asked was I ok. I wasn't, I wanted my mommy she would probably be so happy that I finally had new spider man pajamas. I wanted her to sing For Your Glory to me as I fell asleep. I missed the way she smelled like syrup when she would spray that stuff around our bed. Tears formed in my eyes as Grammy came to my door and said, " Hey Grammy's baby you want some hot chocolate?" I wanted anything right now to get my mind off of my mommy. I pulled the covers back and stepped onto the cold floor as she reached her hand out for me to grab. As we walked down the hallway I looked up at her and said, "Can we put up some for mama?" She looked down at me while fighting back tears and said, "Yes baby we'll make some for your mama and Grandppie."

You will have to go to chapter 5 from chapter 4 they are out of order. I apologize for the inconvenience.