Chapter 1: New Teacher?

(NEW COVER ART MADE BY @sempiternal_gerard)

"A new teacher?" I asked the boy I was forced to sit next to after my 'incident' with my best friend last month. I tend to...not pay attention in class. A lot.

Multiple trips to the principal's office for the last 4 years of my life had become regular. Twice a week I would get sent down for doing something as stupid as talking in class. Or the dress code. I wore a lot of band t-shirts, and let me tell you, some on the shirts are apparently not appropriate for school.

The boy quickly nodded, not saying a word to me. Not trying to get in trouble. Oh, well.

Our teacher hadn't entered the classroom yet. Maybe they got lost. Maybe they died. Who knows.

I sat in class, tapping my fingers on the desk constantly. I had Attention Deficit Disorder, or ADD, and not only did it make my body always move, but it made me think about things constantly. Rapidly. A billion thoughts raced through my head per minute. My grades dropped because I could never concentrate on the lessons.

Finally, after 10 minutes of me staring out at the window, the principal came through the door. He glared at me quickly before smiling at the rest of the class. Oh, he hated my guts.

"Alright, 12th graders. Your old teacher, Mrs. Calephina, has sadly moved to another school. We luckily found you a new teacher in time for Monday. So, can everyone welcome Mr. Iero." The principal, Mr. Adams, gestured over to the door, where a dark haired man who looked in his 20's stood.

I noticed something in particular. He had a scorpion tattoo placed randomly on his neck, along with a million others covering just about every inch of skin that I could see.

He strolled over to the front of the class, with a little grin on his face. Even his fingers were covered in tattoos. I stared in awe.

"Hello everyone." He smiled at all of us. His voice, wow. "I'm your new English teacher. I hope you enjoy your final year of high school with me."

"Now, Mr. Iero," Mr. Adams came up behind him. He looked straight into my eyes and pointed his finger towards me. "Watch out for Harley over there, she's a piece of work."

I scoffed at him and resisted the urge to flip him off.

"Oh, I will sir." He nodded, yet his mouth was still in a smile. I had to admit, he was a really attractive teacher. Probably the most attractive teacher I've seen.

Mr. Adams soon left after saying his farewell to the class and Mr. Iero then took a seat on his desk.

"Now, who can tell me who Shakespeare was?" He started off. Almost all of the class raised their hands. He motioned over at Malerie, one of my closer friends.

"A writer." She said. The teacher nodded his head once again.

"Give me one novel he wrote." Iero clasped his hands together and another student answered with Romeo and Juliet. The basics.

"What was the novel about, if you've read it." I had the book placed on my desk. I was on the final chapter of it. Tragically romantic, just the way I liked it. "Harley, you have read it, I see. Tell us what it's about."

"It's pretty much about a boy and a girl, obviously named Romeo and Juliet, and their parents don't want them to be together." I said easily. Iero gave me a look as if saying, 'please go on'.

"So they secretly meet up and then a whole bunch of shi-stuff happens and they both die in the end. Boom, Romeo and Juliet." I finished.

"Very good, what w..." He continued on, but I wasn't listening. I was gazing at the chalkboard as the million thoughts began to race through my head as always.