23

As soon as Hermione arrived, we went to the hospital. I told her everything.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know anything about it," she replied, and I nodded.

"I don't either," I said quietly. When we entered the hospital, I immediately ran to the reception to ask for my father. I quickly found his room, but when I wanted to go there, the doctor forbade me.

"This is my father," I said and looked at the doctor.

"Mrs Smith, his condition has worsened, we can't let anybody in at the moment"

"You don't understand!" I screamed. "It's my dad. His condition will get worse because he has cancer, he's dying of cancer and I want to say goodbye to him," I added loudly, tears streaming down my cheeks. "Don't make it difficult for me, please," I whispered. Hermione came to us and put her arm around me.

"We are asking you very much," she said. The doctor sighed and looked at us.

"Well, please go in, but not for long," he said with a slight smile.

I nodded.

"Thank you, doctor, thank you," I whispered and went into the room. When I saw my pale father lying on the bed, my heart ached.

I sat next to him on the bed and touched his hand. He slept. I saw after him that he was tired.

"Dad, if I knew before ..." I sighed quietly. "I would help you," I murmured hopelessly.

How could you help him?

I leaned over him and kissed him on the forehead. When I wanted to get up I felt his hand on my wrist. I looked at him with tears in my eyes and hugged him.

"I was so scared, daddy," I murmured in a low voice.

"I'm with you," he said quietly.

"I know, I know you are," I looked at him. "I would like you to be always with me"

"You know that I will always be with you, even when I won't be physically present, I will always be in your memories," he smiled weakly and I shook my head.

"How are you feeling?" I asked quietly.

"I feel like I'm dying." he laughed softly.

His sense of humour didn't leave him even on his deathbed. My father was an outstanding vet, and after-hours mocked the whole family to tears with his jokes.

"Do you need anything?" I asked, and he nodded. "Water? Eating?"

"Your forgiveness," he answered, and I opened my eyes wide.

I would never expect such words from him. I looked at him for a good half-minute, not knowing what to answer.

"I forgave you for a long time ago," I said with a smile. "I know that then ... The times were different and people were different ..."

"That's good, I wouldn't like to die, knowing that my daughter hates me"

"Don't say anything about death," I asked quietly and stroked his hair.

"Will you be with me, Alice?" he asked and grabbed my hand. I looked into his eyes. "I may not know who I am soon. I can behave strangely, irrationally, will you be with me then?"

"I will be with you till the end, daddy" I smiled through my tears. "Now rest," I asked and kissed him on the cheek. "You need to rest"

"I will be resting for a very long time soon, now I don't have to," he smiled slightly. I saw his eyelids getting heavier.