17

"Theresa invited me to the winter ball," I said and looked at Hal.

We sat in the kitchen at the table and drank hot chocolate.

"FP's mother?" he asked and raised his eyebrows.

"Yes," I replied. "A strange situation ..." I sighed quietly.

"Are you dating FP again?"

"I just met him a few times ..." I murmured, but I knew Hal wouldn't believe me.

"Alice, you can't lie," he said, and I nodded.

"Yes, I'm meeting with FP," I replied. "You're meeting with Penelope, so ..."

"I know," Hal interrupted me. "Never mind, just forget it," he added with a slight smile. "About the divorce ..."

"Are Divorce papers ready to sign?"

"Yes, I have it with me ..." Hal said a little confused, and I nodded.

"Brilliant. Bring this. We'll sign the papers and we'll be free again" I shrugged and drank some chocolate.

"Are you sure?" he asked quietly, and I nodded.

"Yes, Hal. I'm one hundred percent sure," I said.

"Okay ... so," he said and pulled a black file from his bag. He opened it and showed me the documents. I smiled.

"Give me a pen," I asked, reading exactly what was written here. Everything was correct. "You have a newsroom, I have a home, right?"

"Yes," Hal gave me a pen. "Can I spend time with my daughters?"

"Whenever you want, Hal. You are their father," I smiled slightly and signed the documents.

I felt somewhat relieved. It's like a weight has been lifted. I looked at Hal as he signed the documents. The seconds separated me from being free from this marriage.

"Finished" Hal ended up signing and looked at me. "It turns out that ... it's the end of our marriage," he added, and I nodded.

"Yes, Hal," I answered with a smile. "We will continue to be friends," I added.

"Alice" Hal grabbed my hand. "Answer me so sincerely... Did you love me?"

"Hal" I put a hand on his palm. "I loved you, but only as a friend. You helped me, you showed support and care, but ... but it wasn't love"

"I was relieved," he answered. I thought he would be angry. "Our marriage was based on friendship from the beginning. I loved you as a friend, but I didn't feel anything deeper"

"We just gave up the people we love and we got married. We didn't want to be alone" I laughed, and Hal nodded.

"I couldn't have said it better myself," he added and looked at me. "Thank you for everything," he added, and I smiled slightly.

"Thank you too," I added.

~~~~~

"I thought I would spend some time with girls, but unfortunately they sleep," Hal said as he finished washing our mugs. 

"I can wake them up if you like," I said and looked at him. 

"You don't have to, Alice. I'll just go and kiss them goodbye." Hal wiped his hands on a cloth and went upstairs. 

I sighed quietly and got up from the table. I was free. I was divorced. I could start a new life. 

I heard the doorbell. I was curious who it could be. She went to the door and opened it.