22

After dinner, I went to my bedroom. I needed to rest.

Walking down the corridor I noticed the open door to my parents' room. Out of curiosity, I stepped closer to hear their conversation.

"How long are you going to hide it?" my mother asked.

I was surprised. What did my father hide from me?

"You know that nothing will help me. You know I have little time left," my father said.

I swallowed. My father had cancer?

"We must tell her. She must be prepared for it."

"I know that we must tell her," I heard his groan of pain and gritted my teeth.

I didn't want my father to suffer.

"Pancreatic cancer is a verdict," he added, and I took hold of the wall not to fall.

I took a few steps towards my room, then dropped to the floor. I couldn't catch my breath, my body suffered a momentary paralysis.

My father had pancreatic cancer. He didn't tell me about it ...

I clenched my hand in a fist and bit it hard not to scream. Tears flowed down my cheeks. I barely crawled to my room. I immediately closed the door behind me and cried out loud, knowing that no one would hear me.

It was all unfair. Why my father? Was this a punishment for what he did to me ten years ago? What would I do now? What could I say about that? Should I talk to my mother and father?

I sat on the bed. I didn't fall asleep because of these stupid emotions.

In the morning I had a nap for a moment, but I was awakened by the sun's rays. I rubbed my eyes and stretched myself. I was sleepy and tired.

I sighed quietly and went to the bathroom to take a quick shower. I dipped my hair and put on shampoo. I started to massage my head.

I closed my eyes and murmured when FP appeared in my imagination. He came to me from the back and began to rinse my hair. Then slowly, gently washed all my body.

I knew it was just my imagination that he was not here, but I didn't want him to leave. I needed him so much, especially now, when I carry his child under my heart.

His lips began to kiss my neck, and my hands shifted to my hips. I bent under his caress and staggered. One of my hands went up to sink into his hair, and the other one leaned against the wall to keep my balance.

"I missed you" he murmured in my ear and I moaned.

"I missed you too," I said, catching my breath.

"Don't leave me," I asked miserably.

He smiled and, with one quick movement, took my chin with his hand. I looked into his eyes, turning to face him. I patted him gently on the cheek and kissed him on the lips.

After a moment I opened my eyes and breathed deeply. It's just your imagination, I kept telling myself...

I went to the dining room, where I found not only my parents but also a doctor and nurse. I looked at them and greeted them. I sat at the table.

"Why is the doctor here?" I asked and looked at my dad.

"Mr Brown comes to us every month for check-ups," my mother replied, and I nodded.

"Doctor, everything all right? " she turned to the doctor, her voice trembling.

"What can I say, Mrs Smith... "he said, and I opened my eyes wide.