13

The next day, when I took the girl to school, I went shopping with Hermione. We went to a shopping mall not far from the school.

"So you say that Theresa invited you for the winter ball to her residence?" Hermione murmured as we entered one of the stores with dresses.

"Yes," I sighed quietly. "I have to dress up elegantly there." I started looking through all the dresses that were in the store.

"You have to look special," Hermione said. "But not vulgar, maybe Dior?"

"I won't spend so much on the dress" I shook my head and sighed. "Maybe this?" I asked and grabbed a red dress with a slit on my thigh and a large cleavage.

"Yes, go try it on," Hermione squeaked happily. "God, that's going to be a perfect dress for you," she added, and I laughed. I grabbed her hand and went to the dressing room.

Returning from shopping, I jumped into Pop to take my girls something to eat. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to make dinner for them because of shopping, and I would like to have a hot meal when they return home tired.

Before entering the restaurant, I noticed a glued card on the door. Pop was looking for a waitress, and I needed a job. It was the perfect opportunity to start doing something.

"Hi Pop," I said with a smile and leaned against the counter. "You just found a waitress to work," I added and sat on a chair.

"Alice, you want to come back to the old neighbourhood?"

"Yes," I nodded. "I can't sit at home all the time, Pop. And here..." I looked around the room. "I started my journey with work. I slept many times in the back room," I pointed to the door behind Pop's back. "You showed me so much kindness and help, Pop. I want to pay you back," I added. I could have sworn that Pop had tears in his eyes. He smiled at me.

"You have this job," he said, and I clapped my hands.

"Thank you, Pop" I smiled broadly at him. "Since when can I start?" I asked.

"Tomorrow, come to the morning shift"

"I will come," I nodded. "And could I ask you for two burgers? My girls will be back soon from school, and I did not make dinner for them, because I was on the road since morning"

"Sure." Pop smiled and walked into the kitchen.

~~~~~

I drove into the school parking lot and got out of the car. I looked at my watch on my wrist. I arrived five minutes too early, so I decided to lean against the car and close my eyes for a moment.

"Jughead is weird" I heard the voice of one of the young boys. I opened my eyes and looked to where the voices were coming from. Two boys ate ice cream and sat on a bench by the parking lot. They didn't see me because they were divided by tall bushes.

"You haven't heard what happened to his mother," said the other boy. I frowned. What happened to Gladys?

"No"

"Alive" hearing these words, I froze.

How is this possible?

"No. She died, after all, Jughead wouldn't lie to us."

"Reggie, don't believe everything Jughead says"

I went closer to see who these boys are. Reggie Mantle and Chuck Clayton. And everything was clear ... Two chiefs gossiped. By the way, they behaved worse and gossiped more than my mother's neighbours.

I couldn't leave it that way. Gladys's case didn't give me peace. When I picked up a girl from school, I gave them a hamburger and went to Hermione's house.