Chapter 22

"She was a good mother." Was all Maria could say as she laid the faux daisies on her mother's grave.

"Even though she seemed breakable on the outside, she wasn't on the inside." Retired Matt Surly said as he laid a single dew drop covered rose by Maria's faux flowers.

It has been two months now.

Maria's stitches on her cheeks were off and her ankle was once again back to normal.

When the doctors found out about Maria's blood loss, they found someone who was more than happy to donate their blood.

And, who would have known? It was Matt Surly who apperently had the same blood type as Maria's.

When Matt was in the hospital, he was treated for a concussion and was soon let out so he could become retired.

Now Ken Finnest, why, that was a whole different story.

After he woke in a hospital bed with bandages covering his head, he was treated for momentary memory loss which luckily, only lasted for a week.

But the saddest of all was Maria's mom.

Once Karen was connected to a heart monitor and plenty of IVs to make even the toughest person cringe at first sight, she knew that she would soon be dying and told the doctors, "say goodbye to my daughter for me." And was lost ten minutes after arriving to her room.

Now Matt joined Maria at the local cemetery where both her mom and dog was.

Matt wrapped his arm around Maria's shoulders and tried to comfort her (though he was never good at things like this.) as she sobbed quite loudly into her hands.

Ken wasn't either. Which was why, even after all the pleads from Maria, still stayed in the police cruiser which was now his.

"There, there, Maria. Therre's nothing to worry about. You remember where Kirsten is at, right?"

Maria took her hands off her eyes as she remembered.

Kirsten was locked up more tighter than before in the town's insane asylum. Complete with a pair of handcuffs, straight jacket, and gag.

She even had her own room.

A small concrete floored room about the size of a twin bed.

There was a mattress on the floor where she slept on and sat every night.

Maria should know. No matter the pleas of not going by Matt, Maria was'not satisfied until she came to the insane asylum to used for herself, that Kirsten was locked up good.

But that was only a week ago.

"Yes." Maria replied with a shudder.

Before any of the two could say any more, a honk from Ken's car disturbed the silence.

Matt looked down at the still distraught girl.

"It's time for us to go now."

Maria couldn't wait to be in the comfort of her home. And to be greeted by her blue healer puppy, Tracker.

But at the same time, Maria didn't want to leave her mom or Alden either.

She took one last glance at her mom's marble carved grave stone.

Karen Hart.

A good mother, and a good friend.

Karen is someone who doesn't deserve

to be forgotten.

1868 - 2014

Maria ran towards Matt while yelling, "wait up!"

Then they both made it to the police car, and drove back to Maria's house.

Maria hoped that this would be the last of her adventures, but what she didn't know was that one was coming soon.

One that would actually put her wits and strong mind to the test........

But that's another story for another time.