Chapter 10

Maria was getting nervous. Kirsten hasn't been back for two days!

Or so she thought. Kirsten didn't feed her for two to three days but this was different.

Maria could feel the quietness inside the house. Even if she was in a somewhat quieter basement.

Maria heard a scuttling noise as claws collided with concrete.

She jumped as she felt a rat crawl on her foot and another one rub its scratchy fur on her neck.

Maria looked down at her knee and found out that the wound had opened back up where Kirsten had shot her.

As Maria half hobbled and half crawled toward the other end of the basement, she got an idea.

She made to where the crowbar was laying and sat down. Holding it firmly with both hands.

As a rat made its way towards her, guided by the smell of blood, Maria grabbed it and sacked its head until she was sure blood was coming out.

Then she rubbed some of the rats blood on her shirt and put its body under her shirt with the tail exposed.

She repeated the process with two others as she heard the door to the cabin open and close.

Then she crawled over to the front of the stairs and screamed in pain.

"KIRSTEN!"

Maria smiled as she heard Kirsten's hurried footsteps reach the hatch.

---

Kirsten had just come back home from visiting one of her friends.

Just as she closed the door, she heard an unpleasant scream yelling out her name.

"Huh. The rats must have gotten to her."

Then her eyes widened. "I just bought all those weapons and she's probably dead by now!"

Kirsten dropped her bag and ran towards the hatch just as she heard the same scream yelling her name.

Kirsten rolled up the rug and opened the hatch.

"Oh my god! Maria, what happened to you?!"

Kirsten looked down at her victim.

With the little of light that seeped through the opened hatch, Kirsten could see blood seeping through Marias shirt. And. Wait. Were those. Rats?

"Kirsten."

Kirsten jumped when she heard her name called again. Only this time, it was faint and wavery.

Kirsten made her way down the stairs and held Maria slightly up so she could be partly sitting. She shuddered when she heard Maria speak in that faint dying tone.

"They. They started to eat me while I was asleep. I. I tried to get away, but all I did was manage to get up the stairs."

Kirsten tightened her grip as she heard Marias final words.

"I. I know you didn't mean to leave me down here."

Kirsten buried her face into Marias but jumped back in shock.

'Why isn't she cold yet? It's probably because she just died.' She thought over the possibilities and decided her first one sounded the more reasonable.

"Oh Maria. I should have been the one to kill you. I shouldn't have kept you hear with all these rats."

'But then where will all the fun be?' She thought, Sighing.

"What would you do if you were stuck in here?"

Kirsten looked at Maria with shock. Did she just. Speak?

"Wh. What did yo. you say?" Kirsten studdered.

"I said what would you do if you were stuck in here?" Maria said while standing back up to her full length.

Kirsten saw that Marias left arm was hiding in the shadows and she suddenly felt there was worse to come.

"N. Now Maria. We. We don't want to make any rash decisions. Do. Do we?" She said with a nervous chuckle and a step backwards.

The last thing Kirsten saw was an evil smile making its way to Marinas lips as she got hit in the his with the crowbar that was hiding in Marias left hand.