Chapter 1

"Kirsten!" Maria said. "You're the one writing all those notes?"

She heard Kirsten stumbling along the dark room until she found the light switch and turned on the light.

Maria shuddered as she saw the evil smile that was spread out on Kirsten's lips.

"Kir. Kirsten, were you the one who gave me those notes?"

Maria could tell that Kirsten was forcing a confused face. Her friend was never a good actress.

"What? What note? I can't believe that you'd think I'd do something like that. Breaking into someone's house just to leave a measly note?

I mean, were the notes inside your house or outside?"

Maria turned around to pick up the note that she just accidently dropped. Her hands were sweaty and knew that she'd be embarrassed right away once she showed her friend the wet piece of paper.

"Thi. This note. It. It was signed by someone named K and I just thought."

"Oh don't be silly." Kirsten said while taking the note out of Maria's hands.

Maria could see the evil smile trying to creep back up Kirsten's lips as she saw her friend reading the note.

She jumped once she saw Kirsten look up. She swore that she saw an evil look flash in her friend's eyes. But it dissapeared so quickly that she was wondering if she imagined it.

"Don't be silly." Kirsten said while splaying a heavy arm on the now shivering Maria.

"Oh Maria!" She said, trying to act shocked. "You must be cold! Let me mix up some tea while we chat about what we've been doing."

Maria nervously bit her bottom lip as her friend led her to the kitchen.

'Something strange is going on here. I'd better get one of my dogs to come with us just in case something bad happens.'

                                                               ---

As Kirsten led Maria through the hall and toward the kitchen, she thought of what she'd done so far.

'I shouldn't have smiled. Now she'll know something is up. Wait! I shouldn't even know where the kitchen is!

"Uh, Maria," She said sheepishly. "Could you lead me to the kitchen instead? I have no idea where it is."

Which was a lie. Since Kirsten started leaving the notes, she also took some of Maria's food and other neccesities to make sure that her "friend"  would feel more at home where she'd plan to take her to later that night.

Kirsten followed Maria to the familiar kitchen and saw a blue healer puppy sleeping in the middle of the floor.

She jumped once the puppy suddenly sat up and barked menacingly.

"Tracker, quiet!" She saw Maria hold the puppy's leather collar. "I'm so sorry, he's never like this."

Kirsten waved her hand in a forgiving manner. "Oh, it's Ok. I bet he's as sweet as can be. By the way, where's Alden? He's not dead is he?"

To answer her question, a German shepherd with grey speckled fur came wobbling in the room breathing quite heavily.

Kirsten frowned. 'Shoot. Now I have two dogs to deal with later.' She thought as she walked toward the cupboard and grabbed two cups.

                                                                   ---

Alden sighed heavily as he layed down by Maria's puppy named Tracker. They both looked at each other with eyes saying that this intruder could be dangerous.

Alden knew all to well that the intruder was Maria's childhood friend Kirsten, but by the way she was acting and the way his owner was trembling, he knew this night was going to have a turn for the worse.

And he was right.