Chapter 28

When Miles woke up, he was almost surprised to see Sam lying on a blow-up mattress next to his bed, facing him. His tall friend was sleeping so peacefully. Miles was a little hypnotized by Sam’s sleeping face, his closed eyes, and slightly parted lips, through which breath quietly, rhythmically escaped.

Miles remembered, too, what had happened at the Boston airport. The man who chased him and Felicity down, urging him to save more lives. He seemed to revere Miles, almost like a god. But he was angry, frustrated, like Miles was a major disappointment, like he just was not enough. Sitting on his bed, he could not help but feel like a failure. Tears threatened to flow again, but he had already cried enough.

Miles got out of his bed on the side opposite of where Sam’s inflatable mattress rested, scooting over on his butt, pushing his blankets out of the way. He was worried about waking up his friend, so he walked around quietly.

He made his way to his bathroom where he took a shower, having not taken one since the hotel in Los Angeles, with a change of clothes he grabbed from his dresser. He felt dirty. Standing in the shower, he let the water cleanse him, but Miles did not manage to feel clean. The stink of failure was too strong.

The boy witch stepped out of the bathroom, wearing his change of clothes. He walked in on Sam stretching of the inflatable mattress.

“Good morning,” Sam said, his stretching straining his voice.

“Good morning,” Miles repeated.

“How are you feeling this morning? Better?” Sam continued, hopeful.

“Better,” Miles replied, forcing a smile. But he knew he would not convince his friend.

Somehow, Sam seemed to choose to believe him. He rose from his temporary bed, folded his blanket and deflated the mattress. “I’m going to shower and change in my room,” Sam let out. “I’ll see you at the breakfast table, okay?”

“Okay,” Miles responded, disappointed to see Sam go.

Sam left, with one last smile for his friend, and Miles was left alone with his cat, and his stuffed one. He took a moment to hug them both, and then feed Mortimer, fill his water bowl, and clean up his litter, realizing he forgot to do all that the morning he left for Boston to take a plane. But he realized, too, that somebody took care of Mortimer while he was gone, probably Sam, and he was thankful.

Miles headed downstairs to the dining room. He was unsure he could handle being around people, but he at least had to try. Carrie Anne, Marina, Eleanor and Felicity were already there. The headmistress looked on as her student sat down at the table, offering him a caring smile, which Miles tried to return.

“How was your little trip?” Marina asked, as Miles sat down.

“It could have been better,” Miles replied, though he had to admit things were going well until the confrontation at the Boston airport, save for how he revived someone for money.

Suddenly, Reagan appeared at the chair next to Miles, spooking him. She had teleported from her room. The rest of the witches at the table were also surprised.

“Didn’t feel like walking down the stairs,” Reagan explained.

“You scared me…” Miles let out meekly.

“I would be sorry, but I’m not,” Reagan replied, as she covered her lap with her napkin.

“Reagan…” Felicity grumbled.

“Where’s breakfast?” Reagan complained.

“I’m coming,” Sam practically yelled from the staircase. Rushing his step, he walked into the dining room and over to the kitchen, coming back out with the cloches and placing them on the table, in front of the witches.