Chapter 21

When Sam woke up in the morning, he still was not used to getting up in his little room in the witches’ mansion. It was nice and clean, but it was not his. The clothes he put on, the outfit that made him look like a butler, were not his either.

He was up way earlier than he ever had a habit of getting up. And honestly, Sam almost enjoyed it. He liked having a role among the witches and he liked spending everyday with Miles. He did not miss much the boys on the basketball team and the girls that chased after him at school.

After dressing, Sam walked to the mansion’s kitchen, which was the largest and most luxurious kitchen he had ever seen. Sebastian was already there, preparing breakfast. He seemed to spend all his time in the kitchen. Sam had to admit he found the quiet man quite mysterious. He could probably write all that he knew about the man on a post-it note.

“Good morning,” Sam said as he stepped into the kitchen. Sebastian was busy at the oven, scrambling eggs and flipping pancakes. Though the man was very quiet, Sam always tried to make conversation and greeted him warmly.

“Morning,” Sebastian replied, almost mumbling.

Sebastian began to serve food onto plates, which Sam covered with cloches, before grabbing them two by two and placing them at the empty table. He took pride in placing the plates as straight as possible in between the forks and knives. Before the witches took their place at the table, Sam brought Mallory her breakfast, the part of his day he disliked the most. The woman was always bitter and rude.

When he returned upstairs, the witches started to enter the dining room and sit at the table, and Sam immediately noticed Miles’ absence. He decided to fetch him in his room. Sam stepped out of the dining room, climbed up the grand staircase and walked down the corridor to Miles’ room. When he opened the door, Sam was struck as usual with how much more lavish Miles’ room was than his own. It was large, with majestic windows and an impressive bed. The small boy was the Prime witch after all, and Sam figured that, after surviving his old home with his mother for years, he deserved a luxurious room.

Miles was standing by his dresser, having just changed into his clothes for the day, clothes that were much more expensive than his old, thrift store clothes. Mortimer was lying on the large bed, looking quite comfortable. “Good morning,” Miles told Sam, turning around on his heel.

“Hey,” Sam replied. “Breakfast is ready.”

“Oh, thank you.”

Sam noticed Miles’ eyes were a little glossy, and his skin a little pale. He had on a smile that seemed a bit forced. “Are you feeling okay?” Sam stepped up to his friend.

“Yes! I’m fine,” Miles replied.

Sam placed his hand on his friend’s forehead, surprising him in the process. Miles froze in place under Sam’s touch and a blush crept on his cheeks, in addition to the redness that already marked them. “You’re a little warm,” Sam declared.

“I swear, I’m just fine,” Miles insisted, grabbing Sam’s hand and pushing it away softly. Before Sam could protest, Miles rushed past Sam out of his bedroom door. “Come on, breakfast is going to get cold.”

Sam sighed, but followed his friend to the dining room. Miles and Sam took their place at the table with the witches. When they were all gathered at the table, they all revealed their meals under the cloches, and proceeded to eat.

Marina spoke up as they ate. “Felicity,” she started, “Raymond and I are going holiday shopping at the mall today. I hope that’s okay.”

“Of course,” Felicity replied. “I assume you don’t have any exams for which to study.”