Chapter 27

When Sam joined the witches at the breakfast table that morning, he was surprised to see Miles and Felicity were absent. He served breakfasts under cloches, two fewer than usual, and sat at the table near Marina, missing Miles’ presence. He struggled to feel like he belonged among the witches when his friend was not there.

“Do you know where Miles and Felicity went?” Sam asked Marina.

“I’m not sure,” Marina replied. “Wherever they went, it was a last-minute affair.”

“I bet they’re out on an errand for a sponsor,” Reagan added between two bites of her breakfast, with a mischievous tone.

“A sponsor?” Sam asked.

“Reagan, even if that’s the case,” Carrie Anne, usually so quiet, intervened, “that’s none of our business.”

“What’s a sponsor?” Sam continued his inquiry, a little frustrated with the witches’ secretiveness.

Marina sighed. “Don’t worry,” she tried to reassure him. “Miles will be back soon.”

Sam almost growled, turning to his breakfast. But he could put two and two together. Miles was probably out to do some favor for some rich guy, in exchange for money. And Miles was likely not pleased with the idea.

“Ray is coming over to study,” Marina changed the topic.

“Uh-huh,” Reagan let out lasciviously. Sitting next to Marina, she elbowed the older witch playfully.

“Cut it out,” Marina protested. “I’m just letting you know.”

“I’m sorry to point out that I’m not invited to study with you,” Carrie Anne said with smile.

“We’re not taking the same classes,” Marina pointed out.

“Is Ray joining us for lunch?” Sam asked, keeping in mind his duties among the witches, but still a little annoyed.

“I believe so,” Marina replied.

“I’ll make sure Sebastian prepares a plate for him.”

“Thanks, Sam,” Marina concluded.

The witches and Sam ate in silence, after Reagan was done snickering at Marina’s love affairs. When they were done eating, Sam cleared the table while the witches returned to their own occupations, completing unconcerned with the non-witch among them who was basically a servant. Sam was glad to make himself useful, but he would not mind a “thank you” occasionally.

After putting away the dirty dishes in the dishwasher, Sam was struck with a thought. Had Miles fed Mortimer? He knew his friend usually fed his cat in the morning, but did he have the time this morning?

Making his way up the stairs, Sam could make out faint meows coming from Miles’ room at the end of the corridor. He walked to the door and opened it, greeted by the cat sitting on Miles’ bed, protesting his master’s absence. Mortimer meowed at Sam.

“Yeah, yeah,” Sam said, dismissing Mortimer’s frustration, before reaching the cat and petting it.

Sam found the cat’s bowls next to Miles’s dresser. They were empty. Sam found the large bag of kibble in Miles’ closet and filled one bowl, and, while Mortimer gorged on his food, he filled the other bowl with water from the sink in Miles’ bathroom. The cat seemed pleased as he chowed down, but much like the witches, he did not even acknowledge Sam. He figured that was to be expected of a cat.

Next came the least favorite part of his day, bringing Mallory her breakfast. Without much enthusiasm, Sam headed back to the kitchen, where another plate of food sat on the counter, waiting to be served. Sam grabbed it and made his way down to the basement, key to Mallory’s door in hand. Standing in front of the door, he let out a sigh. Sometimes, he thought it would at least be more convenient if Mallory were burnt at the stake. He knocked at the door, greeted by Mallory’s loud “What?!” before opening it.

“It’s breakfast time,” Sam let out as he walked in.

“You again?” Mallory complained from where she sat on her humble bed.

“Yup, me again,” he responded, putting down the meal on her bedside table.

“Can’t Miles bring me my meals once in a while?” She asked.

Sam was taken aback. “Why would you want to see him? It’s not like you love him.”

“I don’t. But it would remind me of the good old days.”

Sam furrowed his brow. He figured she meant the years she treated him like a servant. “Well, Miles is away today,” he said. He could not help but sound a little disappointed, sorrowful.

“Away? Where could he be?”

“That’s none of your business, now, is it?” Sam continued, annoyed. He just wanted to leave.

Mallory snickered. Sam hated the sound of the woman’s laugh. It was grating, like nails on a chalkboard. “I know how this coven works. Witches don’t leave for any reason. He must be meeting with a sponsor.”

Sam said nothing. He had forgotten that Mallory, at one point, was one of the witches, their Prime witch even. She would know the ins and outs of the coven.

“Say what you will about me,” Mallory said as she grabbed her meal. “At least, I never exploited him for money.”

Sam was taken aback. He supposed that was true. He did not have a clever response to that.

“And, I could have,” Mallory added, her voice regretful, as she slipped a bite of toast in her mouth. “God knows I could have.” It was like she was imagining all the drinks she could have bought if she had exploited her son’s powers for money.

Sam could not stand to be in the same room as her anymore, not that he ever could. Without saying goodbye, he took his leave. He did not look forward to serving her lunch.