Chapter 9

When Sam returned home from his meeting with Miles, he was greeted by his little sister, Tabitha, sitting in the living room, in her pajamas. He dropped his school bag and joined her on the couch. She had spent the day home from school, like the rest of her classmates.

“How was your day?” Sam asked.

“It was nice,” Tabitha replied. Sam could tell her smile was forced. Tabitha was trying to be strong and not show her emotion, much like her older brother had a habit of doing. “I spent the day in my PJs.”

“That does sound nice.”

The siblings sat quietly for a moment, as Sam appreciated Tabitha’s hardship. He slipped his arm around her shoulders, and she leaned in, nuzzling his neck. They had always been close, as close as a brother and sister can be, but as they grew older, they grew a little more distant, too. Sam especially had a hard time being affectionate, with his cold exterior. In this moment, they rediscovered each other, and their mutual fondness.

Tabitha’s eyes watered, before she pulled away from her brother. “Thanks, Sam,” she said, in a whisper. A little ashamed, she wiped the tears from her eyes with the sleeve of her pajama shirt.

“Are you happy everybody’s okay?” Sam asked with a bright, knowing smile.

Tabitha nodded decidedly. “It’s weird how they thought that some of my classmates were dead,” she added.

“That’s a pretty big mistake to make,” Sam replied. His smile was plastered over his face. If only his sister knew what he had done, or what he had gotten Miles to do.

“Yeah, exactly,” Tabitha nodded, with a little laugh. “How was your day?” She asked, turning to her brother.

“Not too bad,” Sam replied. “I didn’t spend it in my PJs though.”

“Did you have basketball practice?”

“Yes, I did.”

“I’m jealous. You’re so good at making new friends every time we move.” Tabitha looked down at her lap. It was obvious that starting over every time, developing new friendships, was a struggle for Tabitha.

“You always make better friends though,” Sam posited. He did not continue his line of thought about his meaningless friendships, knowing that it would only sadden her further.

The siblings exchanged another hug, and Sam said goodnight.

Sam found his room as he had left it. Immediately, Sam hopped on to his laptop, at his desk. With eagerness, he looked up witches, magic and telekinesis. After all, if he was going to be Miles’ coach, he needed to educate himself. He read and read, fascinated by the information he found. It looked like there were many more witches in the world, but Sam figured that some of them might not be real witches like Miles, more like the type of “witch” that practiced meditation, wore crystals and were vegan.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. When the door opened without any other notice, Sam slammed his laptop shut.

“Goodnight, Sam,” Dorothy wished her son as she walked in. She was taken aback by Sam’s demeanor and his suddenly closed laptop. “Were you looking up naughty things online?” She asked, still holding on to the doorknob.

“No, Mom!” Sam recoiled.

“Then why did you close your laptop?”

“Because what I do on it is none of your business,” Sam replied, bitter.

Dorothy sighed. “Fine,” she added. “Goodnight, Sammy. I love you lots.” She had not called him Sammy in a long time. He was just too tall for that nickname. But after almost losing one child, she needed them to know how she felt. And Sam understood.