Chapter 13

At school, Sam felt more anxious than he had ever felt before. He had lost his social safety net, or he had given it up. Thankfully, the basketball players mostly ignored him, and ignored Miles, too. They did not talk to, or mock, them during class or at lunchtime. Things at school were peaceful, too peaceful. Sam stopped going to basketball practice and almost missed it, but he could focus more on training Miles with his powers. He invited Miles over to his home on the weekend for a couple of weeks and his parents and sister grew to like him very much. Sam was enjoying his new life, but he was still careful to not get too comfortable.

One day, between morning classes, while Sam sat in the cafeteria minding his business, Devon approached him. Here it comes, Sam thought. He braced himself for impact.

“Hey Sam,” Devon started, slipping his hands in the pockets of his jeans. “Coach Jackson is wondering where you’ve gone.”

“What did you tell him?” Sam asked.

“That you needed a break.” Devon shifted in his stance, from one foot to the other, almost nervous. “Listen, man. You’re a good player. If you still want to play, we shouldn’t let how we get along get in the way, you know.”

“Thanks, Devon,” Sam smiled. Deep down, he was worried that this was a trick, that the basketball players had some sort of plan to humiliate him. But he enjoyed playing basketball, and even after a couple of weeks without practice, he missed the sport. “I’ll be there tonight.”

“I’m glad to hear that, Sam,” Devon replied. He offered the tall teen his hand to shake, which Sam took without much suspicion. “I’ll see you tonight.”

“I look forward to it.”

The boys exchanged easy smiles. Sam wondered if the crystal he wore around his neck had influenced this new development. But he did not have much time to ponder. It was time to go to class.

In class, Sam sat next to Miles at the back of the class. Miles immediately noticed Sam’s good mood. “What has you so chipper?” Miles asked, returning Sam’s smile.

“I was invited to basketball practice tonight,” he answered.

“Is that right?” Miles could not help but be a little worried.

“I might not like the guys much, but I enjoy the sport,” Sam explained. “Besides, if I want to stay in shape, I got to get back to it.”

Miles had not given much thought to Sam’s workout routine, but he figured there must be a reason for Sam being well in shape. Miles himself was never one for sports. He had a hard time just participating in P.E.

At lunch, Sam sat with Miles. While they ate quietly, Miles was worried he was holding Sam back. “If you want to have lunch with the basketball players, that’s okay…” He said with his low voice, a little embarrassed. Sam barely heard him over the noise of the cafeteria’s crowd.

“No, I’d rather have lunch with you,” Sam replied. “Don’t worry, me going back to practice is not going to change anything.”

Miles smiled. He was glad for his friend. He would have a hard time if they went back to how it was before, barely seeing each other besides nighttime magic practice and Sam ignoring him when his friends would tease him.

Miles noticed the rope around Sam’s neck, partially hidden by his shirt, and the small lump over his chest. “Are you still wearing that crystal?” Miles asked, a delighted smile growing on his face.

“Well, yes,” Sam replied, smiling, too. “Everybody could use a little more luck, no?” He laughed a little, and Miles shared in the laugh.

“I never pictured you as a crystal guy,” Miles added.