Chapter 24

It was not long after the holidays that Felicity started classes again. One morning, with Marina and Miles, she walked into the classroom with a steady, confident step. On the table were several potted plants. Miles recognized some of the potted plants found throughout the mansion, gathered in the classroom from their regular locations. As Felicity paced to the front of the room, Miles ran his finger along a large, soft leaf. It bounced back up with sprightly energy.

“Good morning,” Felicity called, breaking Miles’ focus. “Are we ready for more red magic practice?”

“Yes, of course,” Miles replied. He was excited, but nervous with the prospect of finding out his red power. Felicity, Marina and Miles had conducted many tests with different elements to find his red power, without success. He was wondering if he had a red innate power at all. Part of him started to believe that he was an inadequate, incomplete Prime witch. Miles felt like there was a piece of him missing, and he just could not find it.

“Today, we’re going to practice chlorokinesis,” Felicity declared. She used big words as if it was nothing, though Miles was a little intimidated.

“Chlorokinesis?” Miles repeated, paining to pronounce every syllable, testing out the word on his tongue.

“That’s the art of controlling plants, like moving them, making them grow, making them wilt,” Marina explained, as she grabbed a potted plant and slid it towards her on the desk. She started to fiddle with the little leaves of the plant, like she was only half paying attention.

“Pick a plant, Miles,” Felicity said, as she gestured to the selection of plants. “Pick one with which you feel a connection.”

Miles blinked for a moment, incredulous. He was not sure what sort of connection he was supposed to feel with a plant. Finally, he picked the one he had felt at the beginning of the class, with the big leaves. It seemed like a nice enough plant.

“To deepen your connection with the plant, you’re going to plunge your fingers in the dirt, tangling them with the plant’s roots,” Felicity explained.

“…Okay,” Miles let out, a little confused.
He looked on as Marina stuck her fingers in her potted plant’s dirt and closed her eyes. She started reciting words in an unknown language, which Miles recognized as an incantation. Marina’s plant started to dance and twirl in front of her, until she opened her eyes and stopped reciting her words, when the plant stopped moving.

Miles was quite impressed with Marina’s demonstration.

“With innate chlorokinesis,” Felicity started, “an incantation should not be necessary. Now, try.”

Miles hesitated for a moment, lifting his hands in front of him. He pushed his fingers into the dirt in his potted plant, reminded of the test he did with Philomena. He was a rather tidy person and he did not enjoy the sensation, worried about getting dirty. He closed his eyes and tried to focus on the roots of the plant, sending his energy up through the stem to the tips of the leaves.

The plant moved, shaking so slightly.

“Nice,” Marina exclaimed.

Miles opened his eyes, and the plant stopped moving. He smiled a little, his fingers still in the dirt.

Felicity was not so excited. “Are you just moving the plant with your telekinesis?” She asked, folding her arms over her chest, adopting a questioning attitude.

Miles stared at his plant, losing his smile. He tilted his head. “Maybe?” He was not sure how different chlorokinesis would feel from telekinesis.

“You have to feel the plant organically, feel it from the inside,” Felicity said, as she grabbed the plant nearest her, holding it up for emphasis.