Chapter 26

Days later, Felicity woke Miles up at an ungodly hour. She sat on his bed, Mortimer jumping on her lap, and brushed Miles’ hair from his forehead, calling his name with a soft voice. He grimaced and lamented before opening his eyes. The room was still dark, and he blinked the sleep from his eyes.

“Good morning,” Felicity said, claiming her hands back to pet Mortimer, her voice still soft and comforting.

“What… what is happening?” Miles asked, his voice cracking, as he hugged his pillow closer, unwilling to let it go.

“It’s time to get up,” Felicity replied, placing her hand on Miles’ back. “We have somewhere to be.”

“What?” Miles continued, scowling his disapproval.

“Just get up, please,” she asked, her voice getting less soft. She stood from the bed, allowing Mortimer to jump off her lap, and headed to Miles’ dresser, pulling on the drawers and grabbing clothes for him.

Miles turned around and finally opened his eyes completely. He sat up, stretching away the sleep and letting out an impressive yawn. Felicity placed the clothes at the foot of the bed.

“Change and join me in the dining room,” Felicity asked, trying to gain back her softness, but sounding nevertheless authoritative.

“All right…” Miles replied, before yawning again.

Felicity left the room, and Miles crawled out of bed. He bent down to pet the cat at his feet before putting on the clothes Felicity picked for him. He was surprised to see she had picked out a short-sleeved shirt but put it on without complaint.

The boy took a minute to feed his cat, brush his teeth and his hair, all without much enthusiasm. He finally looked at the clock on his wall. It was five in the morning. He let out a confused sigh. He wished Felicity was a bit more forthcoming with information.

Miles headed to the dining room, where Felicity was waiting for him, sitting across from one of two plates populated with a light, simple breakfast. Sebastian had not prepared anything fancy. The meals were not even covered with cloches. Miles sat in front of the other plate. Felicity and he began eating quietly.

“So… what is going on?” Miles asked between two bites, breaking the silence.

Felicity poked a bite of scrambled egg with her fork. “You’ll see,” she replied, not looking up from her meal.

“Okay…” Miles accepted that he would not get a real answer, as he continued eating.

***

After their early breakfast, Felicity guided Miles to the garage, after grabbing their coats. Felicity walked them to the car sitting in the garage, a pretty nice one, next to the van they had used previously for their trip to the mall before the holidays. When he woke up this morning, Miles did not think that he would leave the mansion. It was such a rare occasion. He was almost nervous.

Felicity unlocked the car by pressing a button on a fob.

“Are we going for a ride?” Miles asked, stepping up to the car.

“Something like that,” Felicity replied, getting into the driver’s seat.

Miles opened the door and sat in the passenger seat. The inside of the car was luxurious black leather, and it was pristine. Miles felt even smaller than usual in the vehicle.

After she started the car and opened the garage door, Felicity drove out of the garage and got on the road. Miles took in everything he could see, mostly trees covered with snow, but it was so different from the inside of the mansion. Through the pristine landscape, Miles was surprised to see a car graveyard on the side of the road; the sight was a little depressing.