Chapter 9

Nothing happened at first. Colby held his breath, and Sam, Jake, and I looked at each other, all seeming to be thinking the same thing. What do we do?

30 seconds went by. Then a minute. Then another 30 seconds.

Suddenly, Colby twitched. It was such a quick movement, we couldn't tell if we had just imagined it. I knew he was fighting back though when the muscles in my father's arm clenched.

Soon enough, Colby was thrashing around, but my father only held on tighter. A chorus of yells came from Sam and Jake. I was in too much of a panic to say anything. All I could do was stare helplessly as Colby lost more and more oxygen and my father seemed to become stronger and stronger.

Finally, my father lifted Colby's head out of the water. He let go and stepped back as Colby gasped like a fish out of water. His whole body shook as water spewed out of his lungs. His mop of wet hair clung to his face. He took a deep breath in and coughed out water, over and over and over again. After what seemed like eternity, the room became quiet except for Colby's labored breathing. The way he laid on the floor, he looked like an animal that had just been shot.

All of a sudden, my father grabbed Colby the same way he had before and dunked his head back into the water without letting him take a final breath. Colby didn't hesitate to squirm and push against my father's hold. Sam and Jake's yells echoed throughout the room.

I lost it. I screamed until my voice was hoarse and I couldn't see through the tears. My wrists began to bleed from how hard I pulled against the chains. I didn't care. I welcomed the pain.

Before Colby had the chance to pass out, my father let him free. Colby crumped to the floor, coughing up water and taking deep, raspy breaths. My father dragged him across the floor, putting the cuffs around his wrists so he was chained to the wall.

Then he approached me. He grabbed my hair the same way he did Colby's, and I could hear the few strands of hair that got ripped out of my scalp.

"No, no!" Colby sputtered, raising his voice as he spoke. "Leave her-"

His voice was cut off by an eruption of coughs that exhausted him. He was too weak to protest anymore.

I was no match against my father as he bound my wrists in leather and tied them to the wall opposite of where I had been before. He did the same to my ankles before shoving a piece of fabric into my mouth, sniffling my last possible defense.

It was nearly impossible to move. To do anything other than stare into the eyes of my father as he undid the button of my jeans. I hated not being able to move, to swear, to do anything. Bound too tight.

My breath came rapidly behind the sodden fabric pressed against my tongue. What I hated most was the presence on the boys in the room. I was in full view to them. I didn't want them to see this. It was humiliating. What if they began to see me in the same way my father did?

I choked back a sob, knowing that I was about to relive the past 13 years of my life. But it was worse this time. So much worse.

I could feel the boys' eyes on me as my father stripped me down to my underwear. Their yells of protest seemed muffled and distant. For all I could comprehend, they could've been cheering my father on.

I closed my eyes as he did what he had done to me so many times before. He ran his hands down my sides, pursing his lips as he examined my near naked figure. He slid his fingers into my underwear; all of this in front of Sam, Colby, and Jake. My father was rough and it hurt, but the most painful of it all was the humiliation I could feel in my stomach and my chest.