Chapter 3

"No! Brennen, stop!" I cried. I lunged at him and wrapped my small hands around his bulky arm, my nails digging into his skin. My hands shook and my eyes burned with tears that I tried to hold back. The fabric of his clothes clung to my bloodied wrists, making them sting worse than paper cuts.

"COLBY!" Brennen yelled, ignoring my protests. I felt my grip loosen as he flexed his arm, eventually ripping it out of my feeble hands. His shirt scraped against my skin, making my wounds sting and leaving blood stains.

"Brennen!" My voice cracked as I cried out his name, uncontrollable tears beginning to flow down my cheeks.

I balled up my hair in fists, yanking until I couldn't feel the pain anymore. I sat on my knees in the middle of the hallway, sobbing into my hands.

I was so mad at myself. For everything. For not bothering to cover them up with makeup that morning. For going to the Trap House with fresh cuts on my wrists. For not being careful about people grabbing my hands. For escaping the party in a panic. For even cutting in the first place.

I deserved the torture that I was feeling as I sat hopeless on my knees, shaking from sobbing.

"Elowen!"

I didn't dare look up because I knew who the voice belonged to. The last person who I wanted to have see me like this was him. He placed the tips of his fingers under my chin and lifted my head up. Colby's stunning blue eyes looked lovingly into my tearful, puffy ones.

Without saying any words, he pulled my small frame into his chest and sat on the floor in the middle of the hallway, cradling me in his arms. He ran his fingers through my hair with one hand as I whimpered into his shirt.

He didn't have to say anything for me to know that he was disappointed in me. Ashamed, even. Still, he picked me up and carried me to the bathroom. He set me down on the counter and sent Brennen to tell any other guests that everything was ok.

I reluctantly held out my wrists to Colby. He washed away the blood. I sat there sniffling not from the pain, but from the guilt I felt. I was completely numb to the pain even as he tightly wrapped my forearms in medical tape.

A tear dripped off my chin and landed on Colby's hand as he put the last bandage on. He looked up from his hand to my face. His eyebrows were furrowed and the corners of his mouth were turned down ever so slightly. I bit my lip and swallowed back a sob.

"I'm so sorry," I said, my voice cracking between each word.

"Shhh, it's ok," Colby said as he pulled my head into his chest. He slipped one hand under my shirt and rubbed soothing circles in my back. "Take deep breaths."

I did as I was told. I hadn't even noticed that I was breathing like a panting dog.

"Colby, I'm not fine. I know I said I was, but I'm not," I forced out.

"I know, Elowen, I know," he said.

Colby kept me in his arms, not letting go until my tears stopped.

"You can stay here tonight, okay?" Colby said. He used his thumb to wipe away some of the tears still on my face. I nodded and he lead me to his bed.

"You can sleep in my room. I'll sleep on the couch downstairs," he said. I knew it wasn't fair for him to give up his bed for me, but I was too exhausted to do anything about it. I collapsed into his sheets and he pulled the blankets up to my chin.

Colby walked to the door as I nuzzled my head into his pillows. Before he switched off the light, I said one last thing.

"I love you, Colby," I said. He looked at me for a second, and opened his mouth as if to say something, but no words came out. He pressed his lips together and looked away, flicked off the light, and left.