Chapter 8

"Leave him alone!" I yelled.

My father halted his actions and froze, hand still clenched around Colby's hair. I could hear Colby's ragged breaths hissing through his gritted teeth.

"What did you say?" My father asked, his lips curling into a smile.

"I said.." I gulped, "leave him alone." My voice was shaky and far from intimidating.

"You want me to leave him, specifically him, alone?" My father questioned.

"Yes," I huffed.

"What about your other friends here? Am I free to do whatever I want to them?"

"No!"

"You can't seem to make up your mind, darling."

I wanted so badly to rip out of my chains and claw at his face until I gouged out his eyeballs. He deserved it. No sane person would do this. Any of this. Among the tension between my father and I, Sam spoke up.

"Leave them both alone. We can work this out." Though he was petite and obviously wasn't capable of causing much physical harm to my father, the way he spoke sounded confident. It was enough to make my father loosen his grip of Colby.

I heard Sam's yell before I saw it all go down. Colby took the chance to yank himself out of my fathers grasp and kick him straight in the crotch. My father stumbled backwards until his butt hit the floor. He no longer had a devilish grin; it was a scowl of horrible intentions. He quickly got to his feet and darted out of the room. 

Meanwhile, Colby collapsed against the wall and hid his face in his arms. Once we couldn't hear my father's footsteps anymore, Sam began to speak.

"Colby?"

"I"m ok. Don't worry." Colby was back to slouched over, his face towards the wall. He spoke through a clenched jaw and pursed lips.

"You're in pain, Colby," Jake objected. I longed to go over and wrap my arms around him, but the chains only let us go so far.

"I said I'm fine."

"Can you at least look at us then?" I pleaded. A moment of silence passed before he looked back over his shoulder at me. His eyes were red and his cheeks were tear stained. His hair was stuck up where it was tangled in my father's fist and sweat perspired along his hairline.

Before I could say anything, my father was back. My eyes locked on the large bucket of liquid he set on the floor.

"What is that?" Jake blurted, eyeing the same thing as me. A bolt of panic seemed to shoot through all of us, dizzying and sick. Jake's limbs lurched uselessly against the chains. It did nothing. He could barely move an inch.

My father swept close to Colby without care. He leaned in and whispered loudly into his ear.
"Now listen, if you resist me, I'm gonna cause a lot of pain to my daughter here, you get that?" He didn't give Colby a chance to respond before unlocking the cuffs that chained him to the wall and dragging him over to the bucket. He kicked the backside of Colby's knees, forcing him to the ground.

"What is this?" Colby asked, face to face with the liquid in the bucket.

"Just water," my father said. As he talked, he handcuffed Colby's hands behind his back. "How do you feel about drowning?" Fear blipped across Colby's face. "It's a fascinating piece of research, really. Water torture has been around for years."

"Please don't do this," I begged. "I'll do whatever you want."

"Elowen, no," Colby and Sam said in unison. Colby pulled away when my father grabbed his hair once more.

"So you're going to fight, eh?" My father met Colby's eyes. Colby's jaw clenched, and his gaze darted away.

"Don't give me that look. It's not gonna change my mind."

A frantic sound left Colby's throat as he turned his attention back to the water.

Don't, don't, please don't, I thought.

"Take a deep breath." With one hand in his hair and the other holding Colby's wrists, my father dunked his head into the water.