Chapter 18 - Part 5

Part 5

We'd just finished dinner when the sound of our doorbell rang, leaving us both immediately alert.

"Maybe it's that inconsiderate cousin of yours," Rachel tried to sound critic but hopefulness was all I could hear.

My heartbeat increased immediately and I almost ran to the door.

"Who is it?" I asked and waited for an answer, my hand already on the door handle.

"It's me, Stephanie."

Her clearly female voice made me feel as if a bucket of cold water had just been poured over me, but I still opened the door as fast as I could, still doubting that I would really find her standing there.

Steph looked at me, cold and hard, as it had became customary in last few weeks, and I just stood there, not really knowing what to say.

"Hei, Stephanie! Long time no see," I heard Rachel's cheerful voice coming from behind me, and Steph looked over me smiling politely.

"Good evening Mrs. Mellis," she greeted her.

"What are you doing, Mari!" my mom demanded in a reprimand. "Hurry up and invite her in!"

I blinked, still at a loss, and awkwardly stepped aside, so that she could come in.

"I'm really sorry to intrude so late at the night," Steph went on, still talking to my mom.

"No problem at all! You're always welcome! But tell me, have you had dinner?"

"Yes, thank you. I just came by because I have an important matter to discuss with Mari. I promise it won't take long."

"No problem at all. Make yourself at home. Anything just shout," she added, winking, and trotted back to the kitchen to start on the dishes.

I looked at her once more and couldn't help feeling intimidated by how quickly her smile was gone the moment my mother turned her back on us. As fake as mine, I thought.

"Think we can talk in your room?"

I simply nodded and went to the stairs, showing her the way, although she'd been there in many other occasions. I could almost swear I could feel her piercing gaze stabbing my back and took a deep breath as I entered my room, offering her passage, before closing the door behind her.

Stephanie walked in with a broad, decided step, and sat down, her back very straight, in the chair by my desk. Her gaze scanned my entire room as she observed her surroundings with a critical expression.

"Everything's the same, around here," she noted. "Since he managed to make you change your wardrobe I kind of expected that he'd manage to change the rest as well." That truly irked me and I folded my arms, frowning.

"What do you want from me?"

She looked at me for a moment and leaned her head on her hand, observing me intently.

"You, on the other hand, have changed. Before it would have be unthinkable hearing you use that tone of voice. You're not the same timid, shy girl that could hardly say what she was thinking."

"You have also changed," I accused and she sighed.

"Yes ... Well, since it's late I'll be going directly to the point. As I'm sure you've guessed, I'm here to talk about Gabriel," she frontally told me and waited for my reaction.

"Contrary to what you might think, there's nothing going on between us," I clarified and she sat upright which made her look even more intimidating.