Chapter 37- In Notes

Beginne am Anfang

It was a silent trip back to the small tribe. No one spoke a word out of line but Hiromichi would occasionally open the notebook and read a few lines inside before closing the book right back up in frustration. He hardly noticed that they had arrived back at the small hut that Sayu had woken up from.

"You can rest here for the rest of the day or feel free to interact with the people here. Do mind again the monsters here are not to be killed so do contain your urges, outsiders."

Hiromichi glanced at the hut and finally at Tanaya.

"This is Sayu's hut, where's mine?"

Tanaya blinked for a few before snickering and answering in a joking manner.

"I'm sorry I just, assumed you two might be."

Hiromichi glanced at Sayu who remained stoic and back at the mocking girl who burst into laugher. He felt himself burn up before answering with an angry voice.

"H-her and I? Hell no! We're just friends who got stuck in this shit together! I'll sleep in a damn rock if I have to, shit!"

Sayu was confused as to Hiromichi's sudden outburst. She knew what Tanaya was implying but didn't think it would be something worth getting so worked up about.

He angrily stormed away leaving Sayu and Tanaya staring at an angrily giant mumbling away from them.

She looked at Sayu with a devilishly grin and spoke.

"Single then, huh?"

Hiromichi glanced around the campus as a few eyes stared back. He didn't know why he had become so flustured over the situation but this was fine. He needed some time by himself as he read more of this notebook now that it was under his care. There was a lot in here, again, most of it just being about this guy's time here, but perhaps if he looked enough, there would be a mention of something back home.

He grinned thinking on what he just said, back home. He had never thought about having a home, but now that thought also sprung forth on his mind. Who was he really before all this? There was a lot of memories returning to him, but it didn't make him feel any different than what he was now. It gave him a lot to think about, but at the end of the day, it didn't fully reveal how he had gotten himself in this situation.

He sighed heavily again, finding himself somewhere much more desolated as he sat down on the ground and stared back at the tribe. The community looked peaceful enough, a lot of nameless faces, but they seemed kind. His fingers nudged at the notebook, eagerly waiting to open it up and find something he could use.

Hiromichi couldn't handle it anymore as he opened the notebook once again and flipped through the pages, carefully making sure not to skim over something important.

There was some notes, detailing the process in which this Hiromichi had attempted harness the power of the Primal Beast in this region. As it turns out, he failed a numerous amount of times before and had returned back to the tribe in bad shape. Every time though he managed to heal back up and make his way back, challenging the overwhelming creature once more.

"Tch, this idiot." Hiromichi snickered as he continued to read.

There were some passages talking about how he had found a few old ruins, with glyphs he had slowly deciphered through the time he had spent here. Apparently, he didn't get far but from what he did learn, the Wild Beast Tamer title was inheritable, meaning it could be passed down at will to someone else, giving them the right to challenge the Primal Beast.

"Shit, that's crazy." he mumbled.

The next couple of pages were hand drawn maps, with different markers that seemed to shadow where the Primal Beast would move and stop. There were a few locations marked under 'Favorable for Combat' and a few others saying 'Asking to Die, Don't Try Here Again'. A few others with locations in ruins he had found interesting at the time and mapped out for future exploration.

"This guy really went all out, based on just this book I would think he's an explorer, not a guard to some nation. Tch, then again, there are notes of him literally trying to beat the crap out a giant monster."

He felt a sort of kinship towards the writer as he continued. A few hours passed and the sun was begging to fade over the horizon before he came across something he found interesting. It was a letter stuck to the side, of the pages, tucked in perfectly in between the creases. He pulled it out and opened it as his heart raced a bit.

To my Future Inheritor,

Although I tried many times to conquer this overwhelming beast, and have it acknowledged me as the Wild Beast Tamer of the North, it never once bend a knee. I'm not even sure as I write this, if fighting it is the way to go, perhaps another method is in place. Either way, my time has come to leave this land and return back to my duties. My only purpose of leaving these notes here in place is to make your process easier. I'm hoping that by the time these notes reach your hands you would have unlocked the title-

"Unlocked the title, how do you do that?" Hiromichi mumbled.

-otherwise your efforts will be fruitless. I'm sorry that you will have to inherit my name as well but it's a little price to pay for the reward. I sincerely hope you succeed where I failed.

Hiromichi flipped the page back and forth a few times.

"That's it?! Nothing else?! Inherit your name?!"

He glanced through the page a few more times as if expecting to find a hidden message within the letter but nothing. However, this was an insight to his own name, something he had thought was his own this whole time could actually really be someone elses. Was it possible that this Hiromichi had given him his now current name?

A shadow loomed over him that caused him to glance up from the letter in his hand. It was Sayu who looked somewhat worried as she glanced from side to side.

"What?" Hiromichi groaned at her.

" I...just wanted to see if everything was fine."

"Tch, that's a bit creepy,heh."

Sayu frowned as her mouth closed and open. She was trying her hardest to play nice but he was making it difficult.

" I know we might not get along all the time, but even so, I hope you understand that if something is wrong you could let me know."

She said this as she avoided Hiromichi's eyesight. The mere statement made her feel a bit too vulnerable, much more than she had so ever been and it only caused her to feel embarrassed.

Hiromichi on the other hand nearly gasped in disbelief before he let out a loud laugh which shocked Sayu.

"What the hell is this?! You're being way too nice now! Hahaha, that's alright in my book though I think I'll like you a lot more from now on."

"I-it's only for Kami's benefit! I wasn't doing it of my own volition..." she flushed letting the moment get to her.

"I don't know what that means but either way, I'm down for that."

Hiromichi jumped on his feet as he glanced at the much smaller Sayu in front of him. He grasped her head gently patting it which only caused her to angrily stare back.

"Don't. Ever. Do. That. Again."

He simply grinned back and nodded his head.

"Heh, let's head back. I think this is turning out to be a much better day than I thought."