Chapter 19 - I'm The Same As You

Teams Kakashi and Gai were on their way back to Konoha. As they crossed the border and entered a forest that belonged to the Land of Fire, a sudden shift in the temperature was felt and everyone sighed, relieved to be finally free of the scorching desert.

A loud thud was abruptly heard. They all turned around and gasped upon seeing that Akira had crashed on a tree, face first!

Such uncharacteristic (and comical) mistake for a kunoichi of the highest calibre. It couldn't be helped though. She was too distracted with the thoughts of her last conversation with the Kazekage.

F L A S H B A C K

"I'm against it."

Akira was stunned to silence. She never expected Gaara to disagree. He explained, "I don't think it's wise to gather all of the Jinchuurikis in one place. If Akatsuki gets hold of this information, everyone'll be put in danger."

Of course, she was aware of that. Still, something much more important made her want to take the risk.

"We need this meeting to come up with countermeasures," she argued. "Not all Jinchuurikis are aware of the existence of Akatsuki. If you weren't the Kazekage, you would probably have not been informed too."

Indeed, Gaara knew that would have been the case. He would be hidden somewhere or locked if the situation called for it.

Since it was Akira speaking, he decided to at least hear the rest of her plans.

"It's been years. Do you still have contact with them?" he asked.

She looked away hesitantly. "I gave everyone a special kunai, but I'm not sure if they still have it with them. I've been considered dead, after all. I will just have to visit them again."

"I see." Gaara's reply was short as he clasped his hands together and stared at it thoughtfully. It seemed that he remained resolute on not agreeing, but Akira wasn't done on convincing him.

She started with a soft sigh. "Gaara-kun, you know that the Akatsuki come in pairs when they hunt Jinchuurikis, right? That already puts us in a great disadvantage."

"We can't just hide." Her eyes narrowed with determination.

"If they come for us, we'll fight together."

F L A S H B A C K
E N D

"Nee-chan! Are you okay?" hollered Naruto as he rushed aid to his fallen sister, who noticeably flinched at his touch.

"Let me ask you," Gaara stared intently into her cerulean eyes.

"Will you bring Naruto to the summit despite the risks?"

That's right. Naruto was a Jinchuriki too. Akira did not want to be a hypocrite, but she refused to risk his safety. She definitely wished not to bring her brother along. 

However, doing so would equate to accepting that something bad would happen to them. It would be unfair to the other Jinchuurikis.

It's just a meeting. Akira reminded herself to make thorough preparations to keep the Akatsuki away.

"Nee-chan?" repeated Naruto in worry.

"I'm alright." She finally stood up and dusted her clothes. She then met his gaze. "That aside, I have something to tell you when we get back."

Akira decided to clear the first hurdle. It was time for her to inform Naruto of the truth.

That she, just like him, was a Jinchuuriki of the Nine-tailed Demon Fox.