Chapter 11 - Beyond Reach

It really had been 5 years.—was the first thought that came across Akira's awestricken mind upon observing Uchiha Itachi.

Taller stature, with a manlier built. She silently mused to herself, citing the noticeable changes in his appearance. His facial features matured too... His tear-troughs seemed to be more pronounced than before. His bangs definitely grew longer.

The pinkhead would have already pulled a witty comeback at her friend's successful growth, if only the situation was less unfitting and the man to be addressed was not someone imposing on them as an enemy.

"So this is the boy who killed his entire clan."

Akira flinched at Chiyo's rather apathetic comment. Her gaze wandered to the ground as she recalled the words of her seniors who had enlightened her of the harsh truth.

The group only became more wary when their uninvited guest spoke.

"It's been a while, Naruto-kun, Kakashi-san," Itachi greeted nonchalantly, before shifting his gaze to his childhood friend.

"Akira."

Naruto resisted the urge to lunge at him and pummel his face with a Rasengan for his seemingly shameless attitude. He merely glared at him before nervously glancing at his sister. He was thrown into confusion, however, when she casually walked past him.

Akira took a deep breath before sighing gently. Undeniably, a lot of things about him had changed. Yet why?

"What is she planning to do?" Chiyo muttered.

Slowly, the pinkhead's gaze was lifted from the ground to meet a pair of deep crimson Sharingan, which left her wondering,

If you are nothing but a heartless murderer, why could I still feel warmth in those eyes?

"What do you think you're doing, dimwit?" Akira abruptly chided, pinning Itachi with her infamous death glare. His eyes slightly widened in surprise—and secretly in amusement—when she marched to him like an angry mother.

"Nee-chan, don't! It's too dangerous!"

Despite Naruto's protests, Akira still continued.

However, her pace soon decelerated upon noticing the slash on Itachi's forehead protector. Her eyes narrowed dangerously before it shifted to examine his clothing, which greatly matched the suspected appearance of an Akatsuki member. Bit by bit, her strong resolution started fade.

"What's with that fancy-looking cloak? Another one of your weird habits?" she scoffed. Despite having the impression of arrogance and overconfidence in her retort, Itachi sensed a hint of helplessness.

"Akira, stop it!" Kakashi commanded, his tone was of absolute urgency. "He's not the same as before. He's a murderer—a rouge ninja!"

The Uzumaki female paid no attention or whatsoever to their hollers and moved ahead until she was only an arm away from the Uchiha.

"What? Why aren't you saying anything?" she mumbled beneath her breath before clicking her tongue in annoyance.

In a flash, Itachi found himself leaning over the pinkhead after she pulled the collar of his cloak rather forcefully. With their faces only a few inches apart, he could finally get a clear view of her expression, which almost immediately threw him off balance. He never saw her looking so disheartened before that it took every bit of his strength to stop himself from embracing her.

"Tell me they're lies."

Itachi instantly stiffened at her words. When she received no reply, Akira unconsciously tightened her grip in frustration.