Chapter 14 - As A Friend

"Who the hell is this..." Akira muttered, her cerulean irises shaking at the unbelievable sight that welcomed her return.

On the ground, where Itachi was expected to be found, lay an unknown man's corpse.

"No wonder something felt wrong during the fight," Kakashi commented. "Could this be a type of shape-shifting technique?"

"But that was definitely Itachi. It was him— that personality, that voice!" she protested. There was no way it was all make-believe. He was there, she knew it. Everything he said was his own words.

"Nee-chan," Akira's attention was diverted to her younger brother, who surprised her with a deep bow. "I'm sorry! I almost killed him with my Oodama Rasengan."

Naruto tensely waited for her reply but only silence followed. He looked up, curious of her reaction, and saw Akira's right hand curled into a fist.

It was too soon for a knock out, but Naruto knew it headed fast his way. He closed his eyes in anticipation yet only a pop sound followed.

"That's right," she placed her fist on her left hand as if an idea struck her. "There's no way he could have been killed off by such a straightforward attack!"

"She didn't punch me but it still hurts?!" Naruto cried out. Oodama is already my strongest technique 'ttebayo!

"It's not your shortcoming. Mangekyo Sharingan has too many secrets that have yet to be discovered," Akira stated as a matter-of-fact.

Susanoo is said to be a part of the Mangekyo. She thought. If he couldn't dodge Naruto's attack, he could have used it to protect his self.

"Are you saying that this is an effect of that jutsu?" Kakashi questioned.

"I'm not sure. A Sharingan capable of shape-shifting is unheard of."

Kakashi inwardly sighed. Thinking about it was useless. The mysteries would just continue to pile up. After all, little was yet known about Akatsuki.

"Let's regroup with Elder Chiyo and Sakura first. We'll have to think about our next move," he said.

The Uzumaki siblings nodded and they teleported to the other kunoichis. Kakashi discussed what happened.

• • •

"Clearly, his objective was to delay us," Chiyo stated. "They must have already started extracting the Bijuu. Are they planning to create a new Jinchuuriki?"

"J-Jinchuuriki?" Sakura struggled with the unusual term.

"You're Tsunade's student, but you do not know such a simple word?" chided the old woman.

Sakura remained composed despite being on the receiving end of an obvious criticism. Though, Naruto could have sworn he saw a vein pop out of her temples.

"You have the Sandaime to blame for that. He forbade the talk about Bijuus," Akira said in defense of the other pinkhead.

"I see. Well then," Chiyo turned to Naruto and Sakura, her expression still stoic.

"Bijuus are creatures which possess inconceivable might and many countries want to use them for military affairs. To control that power, they are sealed within compatible hosts like Gaara. They are called Jinchuuriki."