Chapter 16 - Product of A Lie

"That damned doton user!" Akira cursed as she pushed herself off the ground with her body aching all over. The point-blank explosion knocked her out momentarily; and the next thing she knew, her brother was gone!

"You're not going anywhere," declared Sasori, his scorpion tail threatening to slice the pinkhead if she dared escape the cave.

Akira's only reply was her unrelenting dark gaze. She was about to reach for her kunai pouch when a hand grabbed her arm. "Don't be reckless," warned Chiyo. "You're strong, but underestimating my grandson could kill you."

The anger in her eyes was instantly replaced with shock. "Grandson?" she repeated.

"Yes," the old lady nodded. "This person is my grandson Sasori. However, what you're seeing is merely a puppet. The real him is hiding inside that tool."

Obviously distressed, Akira's eyebrows furrowed. "Elder Chiyo, just because he is your relative doesn't mean that we can—"

"I know," Chiyo immediately countered. Her gaze remained stern on her grandson, but Akira could see the struggle in her eyes. "Just do this old lady a favor... and leave him to me."

A pang of guilt hit Akira. The anxiety caused by Naruto being put in danger got the best of her, and she spoke without consideration to other people's feelings. Chiyo was a shinobi like her—far more experienced at that, as she went through a lot including wars. What right did Akira have to reprimand a veteran regarding professionalism? That was hypocrisy, as most of her actions were done for Naruto's sake. She internally scolded herself, and the pinkhead started reflecting on her actions.

"Okay. We will back you up," Akira said, composure completely regained.

"Sakura will do. Go after your brother and Gaara."

Akira was surprised at Chiyo's order. She resisted the urge to protest and simply decided to believe in the two. "Thank you, Elder Chiyo."

Without wasting another second, she lunged full-speed at Sasori, who immediately countered with the poisonous tail of his puppet. However, much to his surprise, she only jumped over him and headed straight for the exit.

"You think I'll let you run away?" Sasori hissed. "Not everyone can master that technique. I'll make it mine!"

Akira glanced at him. "You said it yourself. I'm a teleporter, so what does running have to do with me?"

"Wha—?" His eyes widened the instant Akira disappeared.

With Sasori distracted, Sakura and Chiyo took it as a chance to attack him. And the fight started.

***

Akira teleported to the cliff where they first arrived. She gazed at the direction where Naruto and the others ran off.

Don't use Hiraishin on Naruto, —a voice whispered in her head.

The marking might have been disturbed by my other half.

"You're the same being, Kyuubi. Can't you do something?" she asked.

Conversation is impossible without direct contact. If it was possible, the fact that you're also a Jinchuuriki would have been revealed to Naruto a long time ago.

Akira had no choice but to pursue them by feet. She hopped from one branch to another, and almost had a heart attack when a face litterally slipped out of one.

An enemy?! she thought in alarm. However, due to her speed and being in midair, she was unable to move away. Adrenaline rushed through Akira's veins, and a kunai reappeared in her hands.