Prologue I: Shisui's Death

Amidst the heavy downpour that enveloped the entire village, a certain girl rushed out of her house empty-handed and headed straight to the hospital. It happened right after she received a call, which contained a news she never wished to hear in her entire life.

Upon arriving at her destination, many people were startled by her appearance. She was completely drenched from head to toe and was out of breath. It was obvious that she ran quite the distance. The girl was about to approach the reception desk when she bumped into someone.

"Akira." A voice called out to her and she felt a hand grab her shoulder. She looked up and her gaze met a slightly widened pair of onyx irises. It was Itachi's.

"What are you doing? You should have taken an umbrella with you," he reprimanded, brushing the drenched pink locks away from her face.

Akira simply pulled away from Itachi and asked with urgency, "Where's Shisui?"

There came a brief moment of silence. The young Uchiha looked away, hesitant to reply.

"...He's in Room 634."

"The sixth floor?" she muttered, her voice becoming weaker with each word that left her mouth. "But that's the floor for the..." dead.

Fighting the urge to cry, Akira's hands curled into fists. She ran towards the said room while Itachi only stood in place, watching her disappear from the corridor.

After pacing the hospital's flight of stairs, Akira finally arrived at the floor of her destination. She then walked slowly as if giving her heart the time to prepare for the worst. Her footsteps were drowned in the sound of weeping that had filled the entire aisle, and she remembered Itachi's call.

"Shisui jumped off the river. He's"

No! ーwas the word that continuously echoed in her mind. Shisui was not that kind of person, she was sure. There wad no way he could have ended his own life!

Soon enough, Akira reached the room. She was about to open the door when her hand froze midway. A wave of fear overwhelmed her upon hearing a familiar voice inside. She could hear Shisui's mother crying.

"You don't have to force yourself," Itachi muttered from behind. "You're not yet ready."

Akira only stood in silence. After what seemed like forever, she finally reached for the handle of the door. "I have to see him. I need to," she said.

Itachi gazed at her trembling hand. He took hold of the other one and squeezed it reassuringly. Together, they entered the room.

Immediately, Akira took notice of the body covered in a white cloth and her breath instantly hitched. Beside the body stood Shisui's mother who was being comforted by his father.

"Oba-san," Akira silently called. The lady turned to look at the new entrants and upon recognizing the young Uzumaki, she immediately took her in an embrace. Akira gently patted her back and offered condolences.

After being released from the hug, she noticed Shisui's father glaring at Itachi. She looked around and realized that almost everyone present in the room were doing the same. The situation confused her, but her attention was soon averted away when Itachi led her to the marbled bed where her friend supposedly lay.

Akira pulled away the sheet to reveal Shisui's face. Almost immediately, all strength left her body. Her hands slammed the marble in fury and, at the same time, to support her weakened knees.

Itachi watched her suppress her tears. He knew all too well what Akira was likeーa girl who kept a strong and cold facade but was actually soft and caring on the inside.