Smoker x Reader, Soulmate!AU

Soulmate!AU
Modern!AU

This one is a request for BluB3rry, hope you enjoy! Next is Law!

_______

Smoker hated moving. Of course he did, he hated having to spend all the energy packing everything up just to use twice as much to unpack it all. And it costed so much. But it was for a promotion, so he didn't mind all that much. But it was still such a pain.

Well, he'd have to get used to the new city and new routes, and everything else, plus he'd have to get a head start on paying the extra expenses that came with upgrading houses. So he picked up more time. Stopping just for a little while, he dropped by a coffee shop that was open 24/7 and seemed to be popular amongst his coworkers. Good baristas and quick fuel for graveyard shifts, apparently.

The place was nearly empty, side from a worker and one of his own coworkers heading out, who clapped him on his shoulder and muttered a few words. "Try a quick-pick-up, it's her specialty and it's hella good. See ya 'round, man."

He only had time to nod before the guy was gone, and he entered the shop.

"Hello," you greeted with such a bright smile it was almost like you didn't have work at a coffee shop at 3am. "What'd you like? I haven't seen you before, are you new?"

Tiredly, he responded. "Yeah. I am. I'd like the, uh..." He felt silly saying it. "The 'quick-pick-up?'"

You giggled. "A little tired, huh?" You got straight to work, busying yourself so you didn't have to think too much about making conversation and let it happen naturally. "Do you like coffee bitter, sweet, or what, usually? And what size?"

"A medium. And bitter, mostly, with just a touch of sweetness," he said.

"Right. Gruff guy requirements, huh?" He awkwardly hummed yes as he watched you spin and quickly make the drinks, as if the place was your domain and you could work comfortably. You snapped the lid on and handed it to him. "Here! Have a nice night," you said, smiling.

"Er, what do I owe you?"

A slight pink brushed over your cheeks. "It's on the house. You look real tired."

"I've been working since 2am. Yesterday. One hour long break."

"Ouch. Hey, get some sleep, alright?" you said, inspecting him.

"Yeah, I will."

He took a sip, and it was, simply perfect. It was perfectly bitter with a perfectly sweet aftertaste; just how he liked it. Though, he only found out he liked it through some fluke, and apparently the coffee he ordered wasn't supposed to be like that. So he never did get to try something like that again. But that. That had blown his expectations away. And somehow, already he felt energised and less mopey.

"That's... really, really good," he said. "Thanks, have a nice night."

"Thanks," you said, smiling softly and looking down. "You too, and come again!"

You raised your eyes, watching him leave before checking your wrist. Definitely the same design. You smiled, anticipating the next time you see him.

____

The next night, he returned, but you weren't there. The coffee wasn't the same, and he found himself going there for the next week at the same time, hoping you'd be there. You weren't. Supposedly, at least according to his coworkers finding out from other baristas, you'd been sick. But apparently you usually work every graveyard shift, and on the weekends work in the afternoon.

____

It was 3pm on a Saturday, so the shop was pretty busy. The bell chimes and a familiar face returns. Smoker stepped in line, and in a minute he was ordering.

"Good to see you again. What would you like?" you said, grinning.

"Could I get the same as Thursday night?"

"Sure! And that would be for..."

It took him a little too long to realise you were asking for his name. "Smoker," he said.

"Alright! It'll be done soon!"

You got to making it as your coworker took the next order. A few minutes and you were finished.

"Smoker!" you called, and he got up and took the coffee. "That'd be $2.60!"

He handed you three one dollar bills and took the change, tossing it in the bin labelled 'tips'.

He sat at a table and pulled some reports from his coat (why he had them there, who honestly knows. Convenience purposes, one could guess, but what an odd place) and looked through them. He sipped on his coffee as he sifted through them, a small label catching his eye.

'Smoker' was written in black Sharpie, and just below it said 'We match!'

He wasn't sure what it meant at first. In no way did your clothing look like his, and you were at least two heads shorter than him. Then he noticed a quick drawing of something that looked remarkably like his---oh, Smoker realised. He glanced at you as you worked, noticing the mark on your wrist. He looked at his once more before understanding.

He finished his coffee, tossed the cup, and headed out. You watched him leave once again, this time a little disappointed.

A few hours later, you took your leave and rested before going back at 10pm. Officers passed in and out, and part of you had wished a certain silver haired one would come in. It was nearing the middle of your shift at 12am when your wish came true.

"Hey," he said.

"Same thing?" you guessed.

"That'd be nice, yes."

You immediately got to work.

"I see we do match," he said. You swallowed. "I didn't want to interrupt your work earlier, so I figured a different time would work better."

"Thanks. It does."

You'd finished his coffee and handed it to him. "I don't suppose you could take a small break?" you asked quietly.

"I suppose I could."

"Really?" He nodded, and you couldn't help grinning. "Alright, sit down, I'm gonna make myself something."

A few minutes later, you sat across from him.

"And your name is," he prompted.

"Oh! Right, sorry. My name's (Y/N)." You shook his hand.

"I see. So, how long have you worked as a barista? You're amazing at it," he complimented.

"Oh, thanks. I'm actually pretty proud of it, I've been working as one since I could get the job at 18. Even though I didn't even like coffee at the time."

He chuckled.

"So... When did you move in to this part of the city?"

"Mm, just last week. I got a promotion, I'm head of the G-5 station," he said. "Though, it feels like I'm just a normal officer, since I'm still doing the same work, just a little extra paperwork and status."

You nodded, chatting with him. Conversation came easily, and you'd be lying if you weren't disappointed when he had to leave. But you exchanged numbers, and the midnight coffee dates became a regular thing.

"I really didn't want to move at first," Smoker had said once.

"Really?"

"Yeah, it just seemed like so much work, and I'd be leaving a familiar city. But I didn't mind all that much, since I was getting a promotion and all. But if I'd known I just had to move to meet you, I would've moved across the world for you."

An inevitable smile and blush came upon your face. "You're so cheesy!" you said.

"Mm, thank you. But it's true. I've gotta get back to work, have a nice night." He kissed your forehead and headed for the door.

"Night, Smoker. Love you too."