After a failed attempt at calling him, I called Jennie.

"Hey Jennie, hows it going. Are you and grandpa—"

"Long time princess", a male voice spoke.

My eyes widened as I heard this familiar voice which I dreaded. With shaking hands, I parted the phone to see whether I had called Jennie or not. Because a few months back, I had saved James's number. And maybe I confused it because of their similar names.

"Ah princess, surprised that I picked up?", he chuckled. "Well let me make things less confusing. I see how my brother sent the lovely Jennie to protect your grandfather. Seems like it isn't working because the old man is here fighting for his last breath in front of me"

"NO NO. YOU BASTARD", I screamed into the phone. "IF YOU DO ANYTHING TO HIM—"

"Oo honey. Save your old man, if you can. You know where to find me"

With that the call got cut. The phone fell from my hand. I immediately stood up as I put on my shoes. Wiping my eyes off the tears, I ran towards the door.

The oak door slammed open as Nana put a foot out and then the second. The protective cover which Taehyung put, turned a green as she passed through it — indicating that she could no longer enter now.

———•••———

The rain masked my tears as I ran. Ran as fast as I could. Ran as fast as I never had before. I fell, I stumbled and I bruised my knees. But nothing was worse than knowing that my grandfather was at James's mercy.

The streets were suspiciously gloomy and silent. But what was even more suspicious was the fact that no one had tried to make a move at me. Why wasn't I being swarmed with demons yet?

I know I had fallen into James's bait. It wasn't a surprise to me. But I couldn't leave Grandpa like this.

With a slam of the hand, I pushed apart the door to my house. There, sprawled in front of me was the old man, bleeding. I screamed as I ran to him.

"Grandpa.. what.. no", I put pressure to the wound as I tried to stop the bleeding.

"Nana my child.... I", he coughed. "Leave", he said. "Run. Don't be here. He will come back. Don't be here"

"Ah old man, you got a great sense of premonition. He is here. I am here", a dark chuckle was heard behind me.

I turned to see James standing by the door smirking. "Hello there Nana, great to see you"

I protectively stood in front of Grandpa, tears rolling down my eyes while anger flashed in them. "Don't come near, or I will—", I picked a vase lying by as I pointed it to him threateningly.

"Nana I have got to give my brother a point. He really did get a cute girl. You think that jade vase will work on me?", he chuckled and in a second that thing went flying off my hand and into the wall.

"STOP. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS? WHAT DO YOU WANT? YOU WANT TO TAKE ME, DO IT. BUT LET HIM GO, HE IS INNOCENT PLEASE..", I screamed and cried as I saw grandfather breathe.

"I only want you. And I would be glad to let your grandfather go if you cooperate and come with me this instance"

I nodded. "Let him go please.."

"Great then. What are we waiting for",  he extended his hand.

I took a step forward and he tightly clutched my arm and pulled me along.

"Say goodbye to grandpa now", with that he clicked his fingers and in a second the old man's eyes went wide before his nose began bleeding.

"GRANDPA! GRANDPA", I screamed as I tried to free myself from James to run to him. Tears and snot were free flowing from my eyes and nose. My screams were the only thing echoing in the whole room.

"BASTARD. FUCKING BASTARD. YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T DO ANYTHING TO HIM", I hit his arm and scratched his skin with my nails hoping that it would hurt him enough but he didn't budge.

"Naive Nana", he chuckled. "You know how they say never to trust the devil. Well, they should change it to — never trust the devil's brother. Did you really think I was going to let him go?"

I kept screaming and resisting as he tried to pull me away from there. Grandpa was lifeless on the floor and my eyes wouldn't leave him.

Just when we were out of the door, James stop. Jennie stood there, bruised and battered herself, bleeding as she put a knife to his chest.

"Ah Jennie, my love", he chuckled. "You really are the best warrior. Killed my demon entourage of 50 by yourself? I am impressed"

"Let her go", was the only thing she said.

"Ah, you know. Its shameful tho. You killed so many demons but failed to save the one man who you were assigned to protect hmm?"

Jennie's eyes widened as she looked beyond James and into the living room to see the lifeless body of Nana's grandfather. She failed. She failed the one thing her master had asked her to do. When James's demons attacked the house, she got so caught up trying to kill them that she completely forgot about the man she left downstairs to fend for himself. An unimaginable guilt took over her. As she saw Nana looking almost drained from crying, she realized how she had failed both her best friend who she loved so dearly and her master who she promised to be loyal to all her life.

Using this distraction to his advantage, James grabbed her hand as she immediately twisted it. Within a second, the knife in her hand was taken away. Before Jennie could react, she felt a sharp pain.

Time stopped, it seemed.

The girl's eyes widened as she looked at her chest which was now bleeding red. I too was frozen as I saw James drive the knife into Jennie's chest.

"I am sorry my love", he said to her. For a second I couldn't believe what was happening. James had a glint of guilt in his eyes. "Its a shame we were once betrothed a thousand years ago. You shouldn't have meddled in my business. Rest in peace"

With that he pulled the knife back out and Jennie fell.

"JENNIE"

The last thing the demon warrior heard was her best friend calling out for her. Her vision was blackening but she saw how the woman was being dragged out of the house by James.

She wanted to say sorry to her for not being able to protect her. But no words came out. So she fell to her death, a single tear rolling down her eyes as she breathed her last, watching the world crumple in front of her eyes.