Chapter 15 • All Bite, No Bark

Start from the beginning

My ears ring upon mentioning the term 'official'. Wow, just wow. I clench my fist in solid attempt to contain my anger. One more wrong word and I am football tackling Grayson to the ground in order to get hold of Bradford's throat.

"I honestly don't see anything wrong with this one. You let Prescott used you..." one more, one more inappropriate word," ...and you can't even do the same for the school who's brought you nothing but fame? Admit it, Harley, you wouldn't be known if it weren't for Lex——"

A deafening slap cuts through the air, stopping Coach Bradford from his assault. No, it's not from me. How could it be when Grayson has me wrapped around his strong arms?

Ms. Hayes is standing in front of Coach Bradford, her hands left a red mark on his face. Where the hell did she come from? That I don't know, maybe because I'm way too absorb listening to every word this dumbass has to say to me. Gritting in anger, she furiously glares at her co-teacher.

"How could you say that to her, Brian?!" she cries in her don't-fuck-me tone. This anger isn't forced just like those moments in the classroom when she acts all Hulk and mighty. This is real. "Of all fucking people!!! How could you treat Harley like that?!"

I can't help but notice the first-name calling and the word fucking coming out from Ms. Hayes' mouth. I am proud if anything.

Still cupping his now heated and throbbing cheek, Coach looks at her in shock. While recovering from the sudden slap, he gazes at me, then to Ms. Hayes and back to me again. He blinks rapidly and who knows what more stupid reasons and excuses he's planning to say this time.

"Now this is a fight you don't see everyday," Grayson mumbles with his mouth pressed on my hair. I didn't realize how close we are until now.

"Let me go, Grayson," I snap at him as I try to wiggle out of his tight hold. He just shakes his head with an annoyingly hot grin on his face.

"Nah, you fit fine in my hold," he replies and then tighten his grip even more, pulling me closer to his chest. From my peripherals, I can see Bridget's attention leaving the teachers and now focusing to us.

A crowd has gathered around us, a mixture of students and Lexus personnels watching the scene before them. Bradford notices them, too, and from a cowering dog comes an overconfident idiot.

"But it's true," he thrusts his chest forward as he counters again, only to earn himself another slap from Ms. Hayes. This time, louder and harder.

"Are you hearing yourself right now, Brian? Did your desperation for the championship title has turned you into an inconsiderate and manipulative asshole?" Ms. Hayes takes a threatening step towards him and pokes his chest with her finger. "You are talking to the daughter of the person who treated you like family. You know well enough what Harley went through..."

Oh god, not this road again. I am always a subject of my own tragic past. I don't use that as a card to get away with things but people who knows me always does. It's an excuse for them to treat as though I am a broken toy, fragile and traumatized.

"All I did is announce that she's finally with us, where she truly belongs. She's the darling daughter of Lexus and if you look at it, Prescott just borrowed her."

I feel such a toy in their petty games.

"Prescott will know either way," he squares his shoulder.