XXIV. After

A/N: I apologize in advance for the shitty chapter, seriously.

Twitter: @escapetomichael / Tumblr: 5sos-fan-base.tumblr.com

after (adverb, preposition, conjunction): at a later time

Jess's Point of View 

Three Weeks Later

I was seated on a secluded bench in the park with Michael to my left. Breathing in the fresh air, I tried to clear my thoughts. We had been sitting there in absolute silence for a minimum of twenty minutes, if not more. However, the muteness wasn't awkward, it was almost comforting.

I glanced at my pretend boyfriend, taking the chance to memorize his face while he was deep in thought. I smiled once I noticed he hadn't shaved in a few days and that stubble of his had grown a little longer than it usually was. His irises were a bright shade of green that could literally light up someone's whole day. Suddenly, he turned and I was caught staring.

His pink lips curled into a smile and he asked, "Do I have something on my face?"

I shook my head, laughing. He smacked my arm playfully, careful that it wouldn't actually hurt. I made a point of asking, "What were you thinking about?"

"Honestly, I was thinking about us," he answered.

"Us?" I inquired, quite confused by his response.

"Yeah, we've been together for three weeks now," Michael continued.

"Mikey, you know, it doesn't feel fake anymore," I sighed.

I remembered how it had been, the whole dating thing. We were both pretty broken, and I felt that we had the ability to repair each other. I was in need of love and protection, which Mikey was able to offer. And he was in need of someone to love and call his own, which I provided.

"I know," he said, offering me a light smile. "Maybe, we should try and do it for real."

"I'd like that."

"I've been meaning to ask you something," he said nonchalantly.

"Sure," I encouraged.

Once again, we fell into a trance of muteness, him almost forgetting what to say. The autumn leaves were being ripped off the trees due to the cold breeze. The sun had almost set and we were the only ones left in the park.

"I'm aware you just said you have feelings for me, but," he contemplated on how to continue, "Do you still love Luke?"

I closed my eyes and pictured him. The touch of his hand, the voice he used sent me reeling and once again, I wished to be next to him.

Now it was me who remained silent, I hadn't really thought about it at all. After my brother, the rest of One Direction and Josie left, I kept my distance from him. My expression immediately saddened as I recalled Jade leaving with them after realizing London had better universities and offered better career opportunities. In fact, I began avoiding Luke ever since we found out Aleisha was pregnant.

Flashback 

"I have an announcement to make," Aleisha singsonged as she entered the living room. She had something in her hand, which was hidden behind her back.

"Don't you always," I laughed, causing everyone else to giggle too. 

The devil smirked and flipped her hair to the side, "Oh Jess, you're bound to love this one."