XXII. Havoc

Twitter - @escapetomichael / Tumblr - http://5sos-fan-base.tumblr.com

Copyright © 2014 Makayla B.

havoc (noun): a situation in which there is a lot of damage or destruction, or in which something cannot continue in it's normal way because of problems

-Jess's Point of View-

My heart leaped in my throat and decided to stay there. I felt the urge to wretch and empty my stomach contents but my determination prevented that from happening. I brought a hand to my nose bridge and pinched it with my thumb and pointer finger as concentration flooded through my body. Letting out an exasperated sigh, my eyes met the girl's cold ones for the second time.

"You're Aleisha?" I asked in disbelief. Her suddenly showing up seemed beyond surreal and I wasn't prepared for anything like that.

"That's what I said," she replied then pouted mockingly. "Don't tell me Luke settled for a deaf chick."

I cocked my eyebrows and forced a laugh, trying to mask my shock due to her rude behavior. Meeting someone and hating them within two minutes was a new record, even for me. Her demeanor requested a sarcastic response, "Charming."

Aleisha pursed her heavily outlined lips and settled her stare on our little get together. With one fleet move, she tossed her hair blond hair to the side and allowed her legs to guide her in that direction. My heart stopped pounding in my rib cage as I did the math and realized I was against all odds of stopping her from getting to Luke. She was already here and I felt the determination that surrounded her aura, because I had the same atmosphere about me.

I grabbed her arm, stopping her march and earning a glare. I asked venomously, "Why are you here?"

Aleisha yanked her limb away from my grasp and rubbed the area that had turned red from the pressure I had been exerting. She gave me a devious smirk before replying, "To take back what's rightfully mine."

All I could do was follow her and due to our legs being long, her's a tiny notch yearner than mine, we reached our destination in no time. Being the attention seeker that she had proven to be, all Aleisha had to do was loudly cough twice to achieve her goal, which was all eyes being glued to her. Luke dropped his cup once he realized who she was and let it collide with the grass, the drink spilling everywhere.

He stepped up and was now standing in front of us. The confusion was clearly drawn on his face as he tried to comprehend why she was here and why she was standing alongside me. The thing that struck me the most was that he was paying more attention to me than Aleisha. Once his eyes reverted back to her's, he cleared his throat and parted his lips to speak.

"I don't understand," he said, disorientated. "What are you doing here?"

"I hated the way things ended between us, we owe it to ourselves to fix it," she replied.

I could no longer hide the tears that had escaped my eyes and began streaming down my cheeks. Luke looked over to me as if to ask for an explanation or interference on my part. I wasn't ready to let what had happened between us go but it looked like the time had finally arrived, we knew it wasn't supposed to last.

"Don't look at me, it's not up to me," I said, pretending not to care, however, my voice was coming out barely as a whisper when I referred to us, "It's not like we were anything important."

I shocked him by walking over to the drinks booth and quenching my thirst with a few vodka shots at once. The toxic alcohol washed away the pain for a few seconds, and every moment not spent thinking about my troubles was worth paying for. Arms snaked around my waist and a kiss was planted to the top of my head, by none other than Ashton. I flinched inevitably but recalled I was the one who kissed him first and started this whole mess.