VI. Persuasion

Twitter - @escapetomichael / Tumblr - http://5sos-fan-base.tumblr.com

Copyright © 2014 Makayla B.

persuasion (noun): the process of persuading someone to do or believe something

-Jess's POV-

My heart sunk to the bottom of the pit that had formed in my stomach. My head throbbed and I couldn't comprehend what Eleanor was telling me. I've dreamt and thought about this godforsaken day ever since Kade was thrown in jail, which was exactly eleven months ago to this day. A bastard like himself was never supposed to taste freedom or see the daylight outside of prison again.

"Jess? Are you there?" Eleanor asked, raising her voice due to panic.

"Please tell me that there was a mix up." I pleaded, my voice barely a whisper. "El, that can't happen."

"We were all shocked when we got the news." She replied quickly, clearly uncertain of what to say. "Harry went ballistic. He gathered his lawyer and four others in hopes of putting him away again."

My thoughts drifted to my family almost immediately. I knew Harry, he was going to do everything in his power to protect me. I wondered how mum was holding up. I wasn't really worried about her since she had Robert by her side. However, that wouldn't stop Kade from holding a grudge. After all, mum was the one who called the cops on him. I breathed heavily and rigidly, I was panic-stricken. 

"Thanks for calling, but I really have to go. Tell everyone I miss them." I said, rushing my words before hanging up. I tucked my phone into the back pocket of my shorts, and made my way to the kitchen. Pouring myself a glass of cold water, I heard someone walk in behind me. I spun around and Ashton came into view. I plastered a fake smile on my face so he wouldn't ask what was wrong. He peered at my expression curiously before relaxing again.

"Enjoying the movie?" He asked as he opened the fridge and racked through it, pulling out random articles.

"Yeah, I should really be getting back." I stated.

Without letting him say another word, I walked out of the room and instead of heading to the lounge I headed straight to my room. I plopped down on the bed and thought about what I should do. I didn't even know how to react. My body decided to cry and I let it, I sobbed fiercely into my pillow and fisted the covers. I needed someone to talk to, someone who knew everything but I didn't know exactly who to call. I knew I couldn't tell the 5sos guys and after a few minutes of pondering, I decided to call my brother. I was about to hang up after so many beeps but he ended up answering at the last moment.

"Jess, hey. How are you?" Harry asked enthusiastically.

"How do you think I am? How could you not tell me that asshole was out of prison?" I yelled into the phone, tears of rage and fear gushing down the sides of my face. Harry let out a vehement breath and took a good minute to reply.

"I didn't want to freak you out, I needed you to stay safe and focus on your life. Kade isn't your problem." He said angrily. Harry had a really short temper and things like this set him off like a shot.

"Kade isn't my problem?" I repeated, shouting even louder. My rage was resulting in my blood boiling. "He is my fucking problem if he raped me!"

"Don't say that!" Harry roared. I could hear that his voice was disguising his tears. He groaned audibly before calming down. "I'm sorry, Jessie. I didn't mean to snap. I just get so pissed because I knew I hadn't done anything to protect you from that son of a bitch."

"Son of a bitch, or not, you couldn't have known. I was really good at keeping it a secret, for an entire month. Don't beat yourself up because of it, please Harry." I pleaded. I couldn't stand hearing how upset my big brother got when something like that happened to me, and I especially couldn't bare the blame he was putting on himself.