*twenty one*

"Are you sure it's okay for me to stay the next few nights? I'm here the next two weeks on a special vacation promotion thing from my boss."

"Then stay the next two weeks here! Tyler and I won't mind!"

Lilly nods, she didn't want to bother the two boys. But she had been friends with Josh since the beginning of time, pretty much. The two continue to talk in the kitchen about their lives, all goes smoothly until Lilly brings up Tyler.

"How'd you and Tyler meet anyway?"

Josh was prepared for this question. He thought it was going to go smoother than he thought, but he was wrong.

"Uh, we met at a gas station. Not in a good way..."

Josh realizes that a lump in his throat had formed and his eyes were getting a little watery. Lilly stayed silent and patient waiting for Josh's answer.

"I parked my car on the opposite side of it because there were a lot of cars in the typical parking spaces. When I got out I saw someone by the dumpster and it was... Tyler. The weather went from about ten degrees to almost negative ten, and he wasn't looking good. So I put him in my car and drove to the hospital." Josh somehow got every word to come out smoothly, but his tears had overfilled in his eyes. Now he was crying. "Th-They said tha-at I had s-saved his li-ife. And I will never forget th-that."

When Josh wipes away his tears he sees Lilly about to cry too. She wipes them away before they could fall.

"I'm sorry about that. But I'm very happy that he's okay and that he has someone to take care of him."

They stand in mostly silence, ignoring each other's sniffles before they hear crying coming from upstairs.

"Speaking of someone to care for him..." Lilly laughs as she wipes the last of her non-fallen tears away.

Josh chuckles, "I'll be right back."

Josh jogs up the stairs, the crying becoming louder and louder as he approaches his room. Opening the door he sees Tyler crying hysterically.

"Hey, baby." Josh whispers as he opens the door more, climbing onto the bed after. "Why are you crying?"

Like always, Tyler doesn't respond. He looks up and makes grabby hands at Josh who takes him instantly. He sits down where Tyler was and cradles him in his arms.

"Did you have a nightmare?"

Tyler nods into Josh's shoulder, shaking from fear. Josh had created a routine for when the boy would wake up crying and/or screaming, which didn't happen very frequently, but enough to develop one. He rocks Tyler in his arms, trying to get the boy to take some deep breaths. He does this for about five minutes before Josh moves on to something else.

"Hush little baby, don't say a word. Daddy's gonna buy you a mockingbird. And if that mockingbird don't sing, Daddy's gonna buy you a diamond ring." Josh quietly sings, brushing his cheek against Tyler's bed head hair.

This routine always worked, some nights were faster than others. Tyler stops shaking and crying when Josh finishes his little routine. Looking up, the brunet whines and buries his face in Josh's chest. They sit like this for a minute in complete silence, until Lilly knocks on their bedroom door.

"Hey, Josh, I'm sorry to interrupt but I just called a taxi and they're on their way so I can get my stuff from my hotel room. I'll be back tomorrow, sound good?" She says with a soft voice, trying to keep the peace in the room.

Josh nods, "Okay. See you tomorrow then." Giving Lilly a small smile, she closes the door and walks back down the stairs.

"No." Tyler whines.

"Huh?"

Josh holds Tyler tighter, kissing the top of his head.

"More."

Josh swells with love, immediately kissing Tyler again. The brunet squirms in Josh's hold happily, seeming to have dismissed the thought of his nightmare.

"I love you, honey."

"M'love you more."

Slowly, both of them start to fall asleep, Josh forgetting about the lights that were on downstairs. They hear an almost silent click of the front door before completely drifting off.

⚫️🌼⚫️

Hey!

Listen,

I've talked to a few of my friends about me leaving and they said I honestly shouldn't and to only post when I'm feeling okay to do so

What do you guys think?

I have been trying to leave but this place is like my safe haven and writing for you guys is one of my favorite things in the world...

I would really like opinions

Love ya!

~ M ❤️