*eighteen*

potential trigger warning...

I don't wanna spoil it before you read it so I'll put the triggers right before they start

love you guys ❤️

"What would you like, Tyler?"

Josh stands in line while three other people order their drinks or sweets at the counters. His mind and heart are racing. He wants to know what Tyler meant by "so terrible that the cops would arrest you and you'd be put in jail for who knows how long."

Tyler sighs before he speaks, "I don't know... I've never been here before..."

"You've never been here before?"

"No, I've never really been out to eat many times in my life. Four times at most."

"Okay... do you like chocolate chips?"

Tyler nods slowly, Josh smiling.

"Okay. Then I got your order figured out."

The two continue to wait for another minute before a girl is motioning for them to walk over.

"Hello, what can I get for you today?"

Josh keeps his eyes on the menu board behind the girl for a few seconds before meeting her eyes.

"Hi, uh, could I get a small double chocolate chip frappuccino, a medium iced coffee with extra cream and sugar," Josh pauses to look at the baked goodies they had. "I also would like two slices of the lemon pound cake, please. And that'll do it."

The girl punches in their order and tells them their total, Josh immediately paying for it, even though Tyler didn't have any money on him. The two get their drinks and food quickly and find a small table to sit at. Once they're settled Josh quickly starts the conversation up again.

"Tyler, what did you mean by what you said in the car?" Josh carefully places his words, just in case he was talking with a murder or something.

"Nothing, forget it."

"Can I know? Please?"

The brunet sighs and takes a long sip from his drink.

"This is very good!" Tyler says over enthusiastically, trying to avoid the conversation he has started.

"Tyler, please just tell me." Josh sighs, shaking his head slightly.

potential trigger #1 running away from home
❤️

Tyler shuts his eyes and takes a deep breath to calm himself. When he opens them he sees that Josh is looking out the window, drinking his iced coffee.

"I... have ran away. I lived in La Fontaine, Indiana. I ran away almost a month before you found me. And I know that we're in Columbus, Ohio right now." Tyler starts to fumble uncontrollably with his hands only for Josh to take them in his own.

"Honey, take your time. I just want to know what you think you're gonna go to jail for, okay? No matter what it is, it's in the past, I'm not going to do a single thing to you."

Tyler starts to shake his head lightly, as if it was almost a twitch. He looks into Josh's deep brown eyes again before starting once more.

"It was harsh. The cold took a toll on me practically everyday. I should've died a few times, but somehow I lived. Like how you saved me. Thank god before I left I took every single dollar that was in the house. I was announced missing two days after..." Tyler swallows and looks down at the table.

"Two days after what, Ty?" Josh asks, becoming confused.

Tyler quickly brushes off the memories of being on the streets. He slowly looks up at the older boy as he starts to speak again.

"Like I said I ran away. Thankfully that's not illegal. But one night—."

"Tyler. Stop. Relax, please." Josh whispers as he grips Tyler's shaking hands tighter.

potential trigger #2 description of a murder with a gun
❤️

Tyler tried to keep himself together since Starbucks was becoming quite busy, and he didn't want to cry in front of all of these strangers.

"My mom and dad were fighting two nights before I ran away. A-And my dad... h-he..." Tyler started to cry harshly, not caring if people would stare, which some did. "My d-d-dad was getting too physical w-with my m-mom. And he w-went to the b-basement. Wh-en he came ba-back it was with a g-gun w-we use to hunt. An-And h-he. H-He..." Tyler was cut off by a loud sob.

Josh, thinking quickly, takes their food and Tyler's hand, leading the younger boy to the family bathroom so he could let it all out. Putting the drinks on the floor and the bagged cakes on the sink he lifts Tyler up in his arms, hugging him securely.

"Honey, breathe, it's alright." Josh soothes, allowing Tyler to bury himself in his neck.

"My d-dad h-held the gu-un to her ch-est and pulled th-the trigger. I remem-remember her chest being blood-bloody, and her eyes roll-rolling t-to the back of h-her head."

Josh expected this once he broke down, but nonetheless he was still completely stunned.

"Shh, baby. I'm sorry. I'm so very sorry, hun." Josh starts to pace the room with Tyler in his arms, sobbing.

About twenty minutes go by until Tyler calms down, being able to take deep breaths. Josh sits on the floor with the boy on his lap, sniffling. Stroking the back of his head, the older boy kisses Tyler's forehead.

potential trigger #3 description of a technically accidental murder... but i'll leave that up to you
❤️

"It's okay, baby. You're alright. Everything's okay."

Tyler nods, picking his head up to see Josh's face. "A-After h-he shot h-her I kick-kicked hi-im in the b-balls. He kept beating m-me up more.."He sniffles and wipes his nose with his hand. "Event-Eventually I kicked hi-im so hard that he fe-fell on the floor. The gu-gun w-was has on the floor. I started t-to b-beat him u-up even more while he w-was down. I-I picked up the g-gun and wi-with all of m-my strength... I sh-shot hi-im. In the h-head."

Josh's eyes widen. He pulls the brunet into his chest, cradling the back of his head as the boy starts to sob again. Josh himself starts to cry a little, now knowing what his baby did.

"Honey, you did nothing wrong. He did something wrong. Nothing is going to happen to you, sweetheart, you're perfectly fine."

"I d-didn't even mean t-to r-really do it."

"I know, baby, I know. But I'm right here. Nothing bad is going to happen to you, honey. I promise."

Tyler stays silent for a few seconds. He grabs Josh's shirt in his fists, starting to feel little.

"Wan' momma back."

"I know, baby, I know. I'd want her back too." The older boy starts to rock back and forth, trying the get the little to hopefully fall asleep.

"Wan' momma back, daddy. Daddy... daddy..." Tyler whispers as he cries softly.

"I know it." Josh sighs, feeling his entire body start to ache for Tyler and his past. Who knows what else he might be hiding in his pretty little mind. "Daddy is right here and he's not going to let you go. Never ever. I'll always be right here, honey, always. Daddy has you."

The two spent a total of fifty minutes in the bathroom before Tyler falls asleep due to tiredness. Josh gathers everything up with tears in his dark brown eyes. Walking out of the bathroom and to the car, he kisses Tyler multiple times. His heart broke for the poor soul. As Josh unlocks the car door Tyler stirs.

"Shh, baby, shh."

Tyler almost immediately stops moving and is dead asleep again. Josh places the boy in the car before going over and getting in himself.

"I'm so sorry, honey."

Josh starts to drive, almost on the verge of a breakdown himself.

⚫️🌼⚫️