Chapter Twenty

Siel

He tried to focus his attention on anything other than her, with those green eyes that sparkled with life or cheeks that flushed from red to purple when she was embarrassed. That image would haunt him for every last one of his aching days. The infectious timid look that completely contradicted the fire that normally ignited her soul. Her laughter was accentuated by the most captivating smile he had ever seen and that's when he knew how much trouble he was in. He had never been so taken and curious about a girl before.

He had said that he needed a break from the sun when in all actuality, he needed a break from her. A moment to clear his head. Purge his addiction for her from his blood. Not that it would ever work though. Every moment he spent with her was another one that drew them closer. He was playing with fire, yet he couldn't back away even if he tried.

 A peel of giggles grabbed his attention. He glanced over only to be met with Aerity's gaze. A golden hue had begun to blossom on her face from the sun, making all her features light up along with her smile to him. He imagined what it would feel like to hold her whenever he wanted and to feel her soft lips against his. It irked him that his brother knew what she felt like in his arms and against his lips and yet, the person who cared about her, didn't. Not to mention the reason why Damien touched her. Then again, she was engaged to him so that was how it was supposed to go. He didn't have to like it though.

Damien barely paid her any attention while she was here and the few times he was around, he treated her like dirt. Siel couldn't imagine someone as special as Aerity being trapped with someone who didn't treasure her. The only hope he had was that Damien would get over his little vendetta and start treating her the way she deserved to be treated. Like the Queen that she will be. His stomach cramped. She would be his Queen.

Looking at her now, it made him wonder what made her run away from the wedding to begin with. She seemed to take every situation into stride. Even at the hunt when the women were insulting her, she held her head up high and made the first insult herself. Nothing seemed to bother her, except Damien of course. He knew his brother better than anyone and knew that Damien was a good guy. He was loyal and strong. Fierce but faithful, although, his behavior over the past few days had been unrecognizable. This only proved to irritate Siel even more that he knew his brother capable of making Aerity happy, yet he refused to even try. He would have to have a little chat with him and make him see his error. Aerity deserved better, as much as he would rather give it to her himself.

  The girls resurfaced from the water and he found his eyes glued to Aerity. Her soaking garments clung to her curves, giving her the appearance of a siren. She was more than capable of luring a man to his death. Water droplets slid down her neck, falling between the mounds of her breasts. His heart rate picked up as she continued to glide towards him. Carly said something that made Aerity's eyes spark with mirth. The same look that he made it a goal to put on her face each day. Arriving at where he lay, she plopped down with her back to the ground and her hands crossed behind her head. Her face preened and stretched like a flower to soak in the rays of the sun, all the while a content smile fell across her face and her breathing grew heavy. He continued to watch her, forgetting that Carly sat beside them. As soon as he realized what he was doing, his eyes snapped to her knowing smile.

 "She's pretty amazing, huh?" The affection was clear in Carly's voice.

"Yes." Was all he could get out, pretty sure she could read his deeper thoughts but he added for good measure. "She will be great for Damien."

 Carly raised one eyebrow in speculation and it was the first time that he took notice of her eyes. They were a vibrant amber that glistened in the light. Not as intoxicating as Aerity's but they were unique in their own right. "I'm sure she would be great for anyone, my Prince." Her tone changed while her posture straightened, making him think she remembered his title. The movement drew attention to the sleek curve of her neck and delicate shape of her shoulders.

"You went out riding with her the other day." He shook his head and changed the subject, curious as to his distraction.

 It was a statement but Carly answered it as if he had posed it as a question. "Yes. She took me to visit my family's farm." Then realizing what she had said, she stumbled. "I hooppe that's alright." A worried crease formed over her forehead and he smiled at the lines it crested by her eyes. The desire to smooth out those lines, forced his hand out to gently touch hers but then he remembered where he was and who he was with and pulled it back. The surprise was clearly painted on Carly's face from her rosy cheeks to the part of her pink lips.

 "She disappeared that day and wouldn't tell me where she went. I must admit curiosity got the best of me. Especially when I found out that she was with her chamber maid." He regretted reminding her of her status as soon as it slipped out. Her shoulders became rigid and her back tensed. "I didn't mean to bring that up. I want you to feel relaxed. It was just unexpected given the Princess's reputation." After a moment she composed herself like nothing had happened. She looked like she wanted to say something. Her mouth opened and then closed forming a tight line around her mouth. "Please don't be afraid to say what you're thinking." The grass below her seemed to grab her attention as the wheels in her head spun. He could tell she was weighing her words.

Finally, she spoke. "Don't you find that odd?"

"Her befriending a chamber maid? Yes."

 She shook her head. "No. Not about that. Although I'll admit, that is weird as well. I was referring to how she seems like such a different person than before."

 He realized she hadn't said all that she wanted to when she bit down on her lower lip and peered up at him with hooded eyes. He wondered if Aerity had told her about being from another world and if she believed it. Deciding to pry, he asked, "Are you saying that she changed in the last few weeks or its almost as if she is a different person?"

She released a frustrated sigh. "Let's speak freely. We both know she told you what happened to her. How she isn't the Princess. Is it so hard to believe?" Her frankness surprised him but then again, he found he appreciated the honesty. Carly had apparently heard the story and believed it. She genuinely thought Aerity wasn't the Princess. Which made sense considering how close they seemed as friends. "I understand it's crazy, and I know the Princess was known for being manipulative, but I offer her nothing. She gains nothing by befriending me." Her words slowly sank into his mind. She was right. It didn't make sense. If Aerity was playing a game, he had no idea what the rules were, but he did know one thing. One couldn't fake true laughter. Aerity couldn't pretend to have the sparkle in her eye that made his insides quiver nor the smile that seemed to catch the room on fire. He needed more time to process things. Blowing out a deep breath, he let his head swing back to stare up at the sky. It was then he noticed just how much time had passed.

"We have to wake Aerity and get back to the castle for dinner."

 Carly seemed disappointed in his lack of a response on the matter but nodded her head non-the-less. He would have given her a better answer but couldn't because at the moment, he didn't know what to believe.