Chapter 45 | just go home

It's Monday.

The days are inching closer to graduation which is only a month and a half away. I've been so busy I haven't applied to any colleges nor thought about which to apply to.

After Saturday night, I tried asking Hero about Henry. I wondered how he felt about Henry's illness considering Rachel made it seem very worrisome. Of course he's strayed from answering. It's like there's a wall between us and I can't seem to get over it in order to get closer to him.

He's smoking again, more often than usual, which tells me he's not doing well.

"Are you done studying yet?" Hero asks. I look up from my textbook with a blank face and shake my head. Hero and I decided to go outside in the field for lunch today. So we're currently sitting in the cut grass as I look over my notes.

He's been complaining for the past five minutes about how I study too much.

"We have a test next period, I suggest you study as well."

Hero laughs. "You can always help me study for Physical Education."

I shake my head and laugh.

"Have you talked to your mother about the party tomorrow?" I ask.

"No I already told you we aren't going."

I close my textbook and crinkle my nose. "You're so annoying."

I crawl towards him and playfully push him into the grass. We're both laughing, unable to stay angry at him for long I look down at him and smile. Hero bites his bottom lip, staring deeply into my eyes.

I lean down and stop my lips a centimeter away from his.

"C'mon we're going to be late." I say, I pull away to his disbelief. I grab my books and dust off my hands.

At the end of the day I head home to unexpectedly find my mother in my room. She looks devastated, her eyes look up to find me but she shuts them closed in anguish.

"Is something wrong?" I ask.

"I found these." She starts to wave a box of condoms around. "Don't act innocent now."

"You're not actually surprised are you? I'm a teenager, teenagers have sex." I nonchalantly shrug.

"I thought you would have learned from my mistakes Ella, I was a troubled teenager which lead me to abort a child!" She screams out. "I don't want that for you."

"Then aren't you glad I'm using protection?" I ask, narrowing my eyes at her.

"It's him isn't it, he's pressured you into it?"

"Mother, no ones pressured me into anything."

I try to calm her down but it's no use, she's practically pulling her hair out. I know she's made plenty of mistakes in the past and only wants what's best for me.

"I'm sorry." She sighs. "I promised your father I'd take care of you, I didn't want to fail him."

I wrap my arms around her for comfort.