Chapter 33 | go back home

My hands are trembling as I wait in the lobby for the doctors to tell me the news. When the ambulance arrived I took a ride in the back, staring at Hero, I remember how bloody and pale his face was, along with his hands which I held the entire time. 

The doctors examined me to make sure I was okay. They state I'm okay but I wasn't okay I was hyperventilating and crying wishing I had someone around to comfort me. It was just us here, all alone.

"Hello?" I'm surprised when I hear Justin answer through the phone. It has to be past one in the morning by now.

"Justin." I cry, sniffling.

"Ella, what's wrong?"

"Hero... there was and accident." I mange to tell him. "I'm here waiting to see him."

"Fuck, are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I answer. "It's all my fault."

"No don't say that."

"I wish you and Danielle were here."  I admit.

"I'm here Ella." I hear Danielle say. "Hero's going to be okay."

A doctor appears in the lobby looking around the room.

"I have to go." I hang up and walk toward him. "Excuse me?"

"Are you Ella?" He asks.

I nod.

"Follow me." We head through two large doors but I'm growing impatient as the doctor looks through his clipboard. "Hero's awake and in a stable condition, the car wasn't going too fast so his injuries are minor."

A huge weight is lifted off my chest and I feel like I can breath again.

"We're supposed to be leaving this morning on our flight home." I tell him. 

"Hero will need to stay at least another day in the hospital before he can leave."

We turn into another hallway finally reaching a room at the end. Hero's laying on the bed looking across the room at the flatscreen TV. The tears are running down my cheeks as I approach him.

He looks up at me through his long lashes and smiles.

I smile back afraid to hug him.

"Why are you crying?" He asks. "I'm alive."

"You scared me." I sigh.

"You scared me." He says back reaching for my hand, he winces. I carefully take it in mine and pull up a chair so I can sit beside him.

The doctor leaves us in the room after writing down a few things in his clipboard.

"You should go back to the house to sleep." Hero says. "This beds uncomfortable as shit."

"I can't sleep without you." I remind him. "I'm staying here with you."

Hero hangs his head back and closes his eyes. I look around the room and find the light switch which I turn off so Hero can get some rest. When I sit back down he grabs my hand again making sure I won't leave him.