six

It couldn't have been more cliché than it was in that moment.

David sent Scott to go round up the rest of his friends, and we somehow, after a few minutes of awkward silence and lots of drinking, ended up sitting in a circle, playing none other than truth or dare.

Truth or dare. It was the game that everyone has played at least once, always with the worst, and most unforeseen, consequences. I could honestly say I had never been in a game of truth or dare (I kept to myself at my old school in Texas), so it was my first time, and I didn't really know what to expect.

It started out simple enough. You spun the bottle to see who would get asked a truth or a dare. If you didn't want to do whatever dare you were given, or answer what they asked you to answer, you could take a shot and skip your turn. Todd spun first, and the bottle landed on Liza.

"Truth or dare?" Liza seemed to think for a second. She was sensible and sober, so she really weighed out her options before finally deciding on dare. "Sit on David's lap until your next turn."

Liza mumbled something about the group being childish, but didn't hesitate to get up off her spot on the floor and sit at the very edge of David's knee. She didn't seem phased by it at all, instructing Kristen to spin for her. Liza's spin landed on Corinna, who chose truth. "Have you ever kissed a girl?"

"No," she replied with a shrug, then leaned forward to spin. She dared Alex to kiss her (ew), then it was his turn. His spin landed on the David/Liza combination. It was decided amongst the group that it should be David's turn, but that Liza could officially complete her dare and climb off of him. David's dare was to kiss the prettiest girl in the room, and an awkward, uncomfortable feeling spread across my body. I found myself hoping he chose me, but also not wanting to kiss him. David rolled his eyes at his dare, taking a swig from his beer bottle, and then standing. He made sure to make eye contact with every single one of us, then finally squatted down and kissed me on the forehead. 

... You heard that right. He kissed me on the forehead. The little devilish smirk never left his face as he returned to his seat, and the other members of the circle protested at his answer.

"Hey, I meant on the lips," Alex frowned.

"Say that next time," David shrugged in response. It was kind of endearing. I wasn't sure if he was respecting me or if he just really didn't want to kiss me on the lips, but either way, the blush wouldn't leave my cheeks. David leaned down and spun the bottle. It went on for a little longer with some basic truths and dares (toe licking, who was your first kiss, are you a virgin, blah blah blah). It was when Zane spun and it landed on David that he said what half of us were thinking.

"Truth or dare, Dobrik?"

"Truth," David sighed, like the question was easy. Zane wasn't going to let him get away with that.

"Do you think Mona is Talulah?"

It was a question all of us wanted to know, but still, he probably shouldn't have said it. The vibe of the whole room flipped, and David stood from his spot on the couch and said, "That's enough for now."

David made it up the stairs quickly, and we all sat in a daze, looking back and forth at one another. Heath said, "Well, I guess that's a yes."

"Why would you ask him about his dead fucking mom?" Scott snapped, and Zane immediately tensed up. It all made sense then. Talulah was dead. That's why his dad was so hellbent on his son finding someone just like his mom. She was dead, and it was John's goal to find someone for his son who would remind him of his mom. It was sweet, almost, in that heartbreakingly sad way.

"What?" Zane defended, crossing his arms over his chest. "Everyone knows that he's looking for his Talulah. It was a fair question, and it would explain why he's so obsessed with her."

"He's not obsessed with her," Alex laughed, like even the possibility of David liking me was out of this world. "He just wants to fuck her once or twice. Why, I don't know... she's not even special looking."

"I'm right here, fuckface," I rolled my eyes, standing up from my spot on the floor and looking over my group of friends. "Are you guys ready to go?"

"Oh my god," Liza gasped in realization, glancing down at the cup in her hand. It all hit us at once; our designated driver had been taking shots instead of answering questions about her and David's former romance.

I was usually not one to get mad at my friends, but I was on the backend of drunk, the phase when you clearly can tell you're getting less drunk, and we were stuck here. It took all the power in my sassy body to not flick Liza off. Instead, I turned on my heel and bounded up the stairs, determined to walk home. I didn't know where I was or where my grandparent's house was in relation to that. All I knew is that I wanted to be out of there before I yelled at someone who didn't really deserve it.

I opened the basement door and shut it harshly behind me, pushing my way through the still heavy crowd. I was almost to the front door when someone snagged my elbow and yanked me backwards. I was met with David's face, and I was surprisingly happy to see him. At least I could be mean to him and not feel bad.

"What do you want?"

"Where are you going?"

"Home, genius. Where the fuck does it look like I'm going?" I gestured to the agar door that I was almost out of.

"You're drunk," he stated, which I nodded along to. "Let me drive you."

"You're drunk, too," I referred to the half empty Corona bottle in his hand.

"I don't drink," he told me, passing me the bottle. I carefully took a small sip and found he was telling the truth. He had replaced the Corona with apple juice. "Let me drive you home."

I thought about it for a second. David could drive me home in twenty or so minutes, and I could go to bed and forget this night ever happened... or I could wait a few hours not with David and get home eventually.

It wasn't that hard of a choice.

"Fine," I finally sighed. "But no funny business, Dobrik."

hi i just rewatched as above so below and it constantly shocks me that that movie isnt talked about more? like its perhaps a cinematic masterpiece???? everything fits so perfectly and its so fucking cool???? why do people not love it. idk

xoxo abby