forty one

"Hello?"

"Thank God you picked up," I sighed into the phone out of pure glee. Someone wasn't answering my phone calls, so at least Todd would. "What are you doing tonight?"

"David didn't tell you?"

"David hasn't told me anything since we fought on Tuesday at work," I explained.

"Corinna's having a party tonight. I'm sure you're invited," Todd told me. "You wanna come?"

"Uh, I don't know," I laughed to myself, looking down at my childhood t-shirt with a rainbow on it, which was tight around my shoulders and stopped right at my belly button, and my fleece Mickey Mouse pajama pants. "I'm already in my pajamas."

"Okay, get out of them," Todd chuckled. "C'mon, you have to come now. It's already planned in my head that you're coming."

"I don't think David will be too happy to see me there," I awkwardly picked at the hem of my shirt, chewing on my bottom lip.

"Since when did Mona fucking Greene let anyone tell her what to do?"

You know, he had a point. I always prided myself on not bowing down to anyone, and David took that out of me. He may not want me at the party, but when have I ever cared about doing what other people wanted?

"I'll be at your house in thirty minutes. Is that when the sun goes down?"

"Eh, like forty five. You want to take pictures?"

"Yeah, at that purple-ish screen in town? You know the one I'm talking about? The billboard thing that Natalie Mariduena posted a picture in front of a couple months ago? Hers was cool, but I think it'd be cooler if it was almost dark."

"Can I just meet you there in thirty minutes? Like, at the parking deck? I'll drive us to the party," Todd told me, and after careful consideration, I decided that would be okay. Todd promised he wouldn't drink, so if things went south, I at least had a get away.

My hair was already brushed and my makeup was already done from school earlier, so all I had to do was slip on a tight black dress (and a denim jacket on top since it was freezing outside). Pairing the outfit with some tights and my Doc Martens, I decided I looked good enough. I didn't want to look like I was trying to get David's attention; I just wanted to do it.

I brushed my teeth again and applied a bit of lipgloss before saying a quick goodbye to my grandparents, telling them I was going to Corinna's for a girl's night
and I'd probably end up sleeping over. It wasn't totally a lie, and I only felt a little bit guilty.

I met Todd on the top floor of the parking deck, where he was leaned over the short wall, looking down at the city.

"What's up, Todrick?" I smiled as I climbed out of my car, locking it behind me.

"Why's David mad at you?" he asked, turning around to face me. He lead the way over to the elevator so we could head down to the billboard.

"Because he's an idiot. Seriously, I should be the one mad at him," I told him. "He went behind my back to talk to my Houston friends about me and accused me of a lot of shitty stuff. He's giving me the silent treatment until I get over said shitty stuff."

"What is the shitty stuff?"

"He claims I have an eating disorder," I told Todd after a brief pause. Todd was my best Vernon Hills friend. I could trust him. "I'm on a diet. Anyway, he brought up the time my friends thought I had an eating disorder, which is super shitty. Counting calories is just smart, not anorexia. He's so fucking dramatic, and now he's mad at me because I told him I'm just on a diet."