fifty

"Mona, we'll be at your house in ten minutes," Corinna spoke over the phone. "Oh, by the way, Todd's with us. He wanted to hang out with us today for some reason."

"He loves me," I joked, adjusting the ponytail on top of my head. "I'll see you then."

"No makeup!" she reminded me, and I nodded to myself before she hung up the phone.

It was Friday, the day before prom, and Corinna, Gabbie and I had been planning a girls spa day for the past couple of weeks. We skipped school for the self care day, and had planned a plethora of face masks, movies, and massages to get us through the day and prepare us for our big day... prom.

Prom was, in one word, terrifying. Of course it'd be fun, and there seemed to be a party that followed our friend group wherever we went, but... it was also terrifying.

About a week ago, they had released the nominees for prom court. There were 3 senior girls, 3 senior boys... and David and I. David and I had made it to prom court. The prophecy had officially begun, and I was scared shitless.

Of course, I never really believed in the whole legend of Talulah thing. I stuck by my original notion that the Dobriks just liked hard to get girls, and the people of Abernathy wanted a good love story to tell their friends in college. It was destined to happen, not because we were actually star-crossed lovers (I hadn't made any gods mad recently), but because people knew it should. I knew that. Rationally, I knew that to be true.

But... there was still a part of me that was thinking irrationally. What if it was all true? What if there really was a cosmic force pulling David and I together, forcing all these events to occur so that we could be together? Of course, killing off my family to force me to move to Vernon Hills just to go to prom with David did seem a little harsh, but who was I to judge the ways of the gods?

"Mona! Your friends are honking!" my grandpa yelled from downstairs, where he was probably still in bed though it was almost noon. The way it worked around here, my grandpa slept, ate, moved to the recliner, and slept some more, all while my grandma cooked, cleaned, and maintained the house.

"Okay!" I yelled back, grabbing my purse from off my floor and shoving my phone into it. After making sure my door was completely shut so my nosey Grammy couldn't wander in, I said a quick goodbye to both of them and headed out to Todd's Range Rover. "Wow, I get shotgun?"

"Todd forced us to get in the back," Gabbie whined. I smirked at my partner in crime, sliding into the front seat with a sigh of content. "I see the favoritism going on here, and I will not stand for it."

"You see favoritism everywhere, don't you, Gabbie?" Todd countered, cocking his head to the side like his question was serious. "That's because no one fucking likes you."

"Todd, you're lucky you're even here," Gabbie snapped back. "If it were up to me, and not horny little Corinna, you wouldn't be."

"If it were up to me—"

"If it were up to me," I interrupted with a huff, "I'd stab you both. This is supposed to be a day of relaxation and self care, but you're going to give me a fucking stress headache."

"Can we just go get some Portillo's?" Corinna sighed from the backseat. "Portillo's, a face mask, and a fat nap. We will be ready for prom then."

That's exactly what we did. After chowing down on roast beef sandwiches and chicken tenders at Portillo's, we headed back to Corinna's house. Corinna had purchased Tatcha dewy skin masks, priced at twelve whole dollars for one mask, so I kept mine on as long as possible to soak up as much of the dewy skin juice as I could.

"Lisa," Todd spoke up from the other side of the room. We were all laying on the floor spread out in Corinna's huge bedroom, face masks on and fully lotioned up.

"Yes?"

"Do you think you and David are going to win prom king and queen?" he asked.

"Yeah, honestly," I laughed at how narcissistic it sounded. "I mean, everyone knows what us winning means. Everyone wants us to win. I have no doubt that a lot of people will be voting for us."

"I will!" Corinna laughed. "My friend's gonna be queen!"

"Do you think you're going to get married?" Todd asked, completely ignoring Corinna's interruption.

"Why do you care?" Gabbie asked in a sassy tone. Today had really not been a good day for the Todd and Gabbie duo. Usually they could stand each other, but it seemed that the more he warmed up to me, the less he liked Gabbie.

I didn't understand why. Gabbie was mean to me at first, but now she was one of my best friends in Vernon Hills. It didn't make sense that Todd would just start expressing his distaste now, but I wasn't going to get in the middle of it.

"I just wanted to know, jesus," Todd frowned, and I rolled my eyes at their childishness.

"To answer your question... I don't know," I interjected before they could start another round of bickering. "I can see it some days, and some days, I can't."

"You're really good together, you know," Corinna said. "You were so good for us, Mona. You opened us up to a whole new David, one we hadn't seen since his mom died. We honestly forgot how he used to be, and how loving he used to be. He never told us he loved us until you came around. But you don't only make him better, he makes you better too."

"How can it get any better than this?" I gestured up and down my body, though no one was looking at me.

"Seriously, though," she continued through my deflective joke. "You were such a bitch when you moved here, and like... I know your parents died, but you were really mean to us. It was Kristen and her minions, mainly, forcing your opinion of us, but... you didn't even give anyone a chance. You were closing people out on purpose. Even when they were your friends, they knew nothing about you. David got you to talk to Everleigh and Giselle again and to open up to us and see that you need friends in order to survive. Plus, you got a lot nicer after you got dicked down for the first time."

"Oh my god, shut up!" you could probably see my blush through my white sheet mask.

"I do not need to hear about Mona getting dicked down."

"I second that," Gabbie agreed. "Finally, Todd and I can agree on something."

ohhhhhh the foreshadowing. hehe

xoxox abby

ps sorry ive been gone so long, super busy these next few weeks, but i promise im trying!!!