sixteen

The rest of the weekend at David's went on without a hitch. Robert Killenger was a very nice, late middle aged man with "silver fox" vibes to him... not that I thought he was attractive or anything. He caught me offguard in the morning; I had my hair in the loose, messy ponytail I slept in, and I was wearing my glasses with my stained and wrinkled pajamas when he walked through the front door. David and I were the only ones awake, sitting on the counter sharing a plate of Eggo waffles when he came in. I expected him much later, at like ten or something, and I immediately regretted the fact that I woke David up to get breakfast with me without even trying to get ready.

"Robert!" David lazily smiled, pushing himself off the counter with a soft thud. "How are you, man? Haven't seen you in forever."

"You bring prettier girls every time I see you," they shared a quick hug, and then Mr. Killenger turned his attention to me. "What's your name?"

"I'm Mona," I replied with an awkward smile, sticking out my hand for a handshake. I knew he was nice because he lied about how pretty I was when I was looking like a homeless Houston crackhead, so he wasn't that intimidating to me. "It's so nice to meet you."

"Is this the one, David?" he raised his eyebrows expectantly at David, who laughed.

"Nah, Mona's my friend," he chuckled, then leaned in a little closer to mumble, "For now."

"Forever," I reiterated, sending David a pointed look. "I need to go get ready. I look like a turnip."

"A turnip?"

"Yes," I nodded in response. "I'll be back down in fifteen, okay?"

We ate lunch and went out on John's boat and just relaxed for the rest of our time at the lake house. I could see what David meant by the whole "monthly pity party" thing; the conversation always seemed to drift towards his deceased mother, no matter what the original topic was. Everyone in the house, including me, ended up misty eyed at one time or another.

David never brought up the kiss or my dad again, which I was a little more than grateful for. The kiss, because it was a wild and underthought mistake on my part, and my dad... for obvious reasons. We went home Sunday morning, and I gladly slept the rest of the day, feeling the foggy weather and my overwhelming sleepiness take its toll on me.

I was, without a doubt, nervous for school on Monday. My friends seemed wishy-washy with their support; some days they were sure I was David's starcrossed lover, and others, they were disgusted that I'd even entertain him. I wasn't sure what they'd have to say about my weekend getaway, especially after David's unapproved Instagram post.

I was more worried about David. He had been oddly nice (for him) the whole weekend, and it was clear that over half the school thought we were in a relationship (or at least that we were talking). I wasn't sure how he'd accept that, and if he would be rude to me now that we're back in his domain.

I got my answer walking into fourth period that day. He was sitting in his usual seat in front of me, leaned back in his seat with an aura of confidence that even had me nervous. He spoke, "Mona Greene, just the lady I wanted to see today."

"What'd I do to deserve the oh-so-handsome David Dobrik's attention? It feels like I won the lottery or something," I said sarcastically, sighing dreamily as if his attention was enough to sweep me off my feet. I dropped into the seat behind him, a fake smile on my face.

David laughed at my ever present sarcasm, a fixture in our conversations, and replied, "I need my jacket back."

The class, which hadn't started yet, seemed to tune in at that moment, as if the thought of me having his jacket was too exciting to hide their eavesdropping. I even noticed Carly Incontro, one of the admin of the school's gossip blog, jotting something down.

I didn't know what the big deal was. So I had his jacket. We literally had a weekend away together, and they were worried about a jacket? I said, "Okay. I don't know why you need it when I saw that Balenciaga jacket in your closet, but... I'll bring it tomorrow."

"You can have the Balenciaga," he told me, no hint of a joking tone. He looked me dead in the eyes as he said it. I squinted, trying to figure out what kind of game he was playing.

"Why?" I asked suspiciously. "What do you gain from it?"

"I don't wear it," he shrugged casually, as if it were an everyday thing to gift a two thousand dollar jacket to a friend. "I don't like to flex on the Abernathy kids."

"Oh, what a gracious and kind leader," I snorted, rolling my eyes at his reasoning for not wearing the jacket. Based on the school's strict dress code, David couldn't even wear the jacket to school, so that explanation made little to no sense. "I'll trade you tomorrow, then."

"Tomorrow, then," David mocked, swiveling in his seat just as the teacher came in. I noticed Corinna was absent today, but I didn't ask why. Alex seemed like his usual dickhead self, and Todd or Scott probably wouldn't have known.

I went on to lunch an hour and a half later, already preparing myself for the interrogation as I entered the lunch room. The only thing I had time to pack were grapes, so it'd be a light lunch full of annoying questions.

Surprisingly, everyone was already at the table when I got there, including Heath who was typically late. They were chattering away, but as I approached, the conversation seemed to die down. They chose to stare at me as I slid into my seat instead.

"Hello, everyone," I smiled, digging the ziploc bag of half squished grapes out of my bookbag. "Nice to see you all again."

"Did you have sex with him?"

It was Zane who asked that question, unsurprisingly. I rolled my eyes at the nosiness, but shook my head nonetheless. "I didn't."

"Did you kiss, at least?" Liza questioned, a small, eager smile on her face. "Oh my god, she's blushing! You totally kissed! Oh my god, my baby's growing up!"

"Okay, I have an explanation," I raised a single finger in an attempt to silence the group who were all freaking out over the new information. "Guys! It was one peck, and I only kissed him because this other guy was being fucking creepy."

"You kissed him?" Kristen asked in shock, jaw practically on the floor. "Oh, no. Oh, no, no, no. No. Bad. This is bad."

"What?"

"You like him!" she exclaimed in shock, which caused me to laugh out loud.

"What? No, I don't!" it was only kind of a lie. "Even if I did... he's not that bad of a guy. He's actually kind of a good person."

"Oh, she so likes him," Liza agreed, nodding fervently. "I agree. This is not good."

"How come you guys didn't mind when I told you I was going to his lakehouse?"

"We thought you had more willpower than this," Kristen explained, which deeply offended me, but I didn't say anything. "You cannot be falling into his trap like this, Mona! I mean, him pining after you was okay, but you kissing him? I can't believe this."

"Aren't you being a little harsh on her?" Heath frowned. "She said herself it was because there was a creepy guy. Men ain't shit, you know. It wouldn't surprise me."

"What'd you do, go out to Uncle Fish's and then go to Trevor Aldrich's? David seemed innocent and sweet compared to those kids?" Liza asked, and I wondered how she knew exactly what happened. She answered my question when she said, "Yeah, me too. You aren't special to him, Mona. He's a dick. We're just looking out for you."

They were my friends. They had my best interest at heart. Or so I hoped.

david in that balenciaga jacket........... i saw sumn

xoxo abby