twenty three

I woke up warm and glowing and happy. David was awake before me, still laying right behind me, his fingertips trailing from my cheeks down my arm and then back. He smiled when I finally cracked my eyes open. He said, "Morning, sweetheart."

I turned so I was on my back and smiled at him, still a bit dazed from last night and my many hours of sleep. "Good morning. What time is it?"

"Ten," David replied, and I frowned, sitting up on my elbows to look at him. "I didn't want to wake you up."

"How long have you been awake?"

"A couple hours," he shrugged like it was no big deal. "Do you feel okay?"

"I guess we'll see when I stand up," I laughed, running my hands over my face to wake myself up a little more.

"I mean... about everything," he said, fingertips still tracing up and down my bare arm, bringing goosebumps to the surface of my skin. "You don't regret anything?"

"Not until you brought it up," I awkwardly giggled. "Why? Do you regret it?"

"No," he told me honestly, looking me dead in the eye as he said it. "I feel good."

"Me too," I nodded, letting my head fall back onto my pillow. "I'm still tired, though. I know we're in New York, but I could seriously lay here all day."

"Me too," he sighed contently, resting his head on my shoulder. "But we're meeting my dad for brunch at eleven thirty."

"What?" I sat up in shock, almost forgetting I was still fully naked underneath the sheets. I snatched the blanket up to my chin and stared at him. "Why didn't you tell me that? I have to take a shower! I look..."

"Fucked out," David finished my sentence for me. I was grateful; I sure as hell wasn't going to say it. "Go take a shower, then. We have an hour."

"You should've woken me up," I frowned, pulling the sheet off the bed and wrapping it around me before I even stood up. "If he calls me ugly, it's your fault!"

"Okay, sweetheart," David chuckled. I made my way to my room, taking the quickest shower of my life (and surprisingly not slipping, hitting my head on the faucet, and slowly bleeding out naked on the shower floor). Once I was done, I put on a white sweater, one of my favorite skirts (a corduroy one that buttoned down the front) and my thigh high black boots. It wasn't the most practical outfit for a day on the town, but it was cute, and it would look great in pictures.

I blowdried my hair into some loose waves and put on enough makeup to hide my dark circles and my ever-present flushed cheeks. Once I was finally ready, I did something I thought I'd never do again. I facetimed Giselle.

She picked up on the first ring, as she always did. She said, "Oh my god, Mona! Hi!"

"Hi!" I smiled, thankful she picked up with a cheery tone and not a why the fuck are you calling me attitude. "Um... I miss you!"

"We miss you too, bitch!" the camera shuffled, and into the frame popped Everleigh. "We saw you're in New York from your Instagram! What are you doing calling us while you're in the Big fucking Apple?"

"I just wanted to tell you guys that..." I chuckled to myself before I could let the words come out of my mouth. "I'm in New York with this guy, and—"

"Hold up," Giselle stopped me from continuing. "We're gonna need a name."

"Do you expect us not to stalk him?" Everleigh frowned.

"David. David Dobrik," I answered their question. "Anyway, we aren't dating, but, uh... he did finger me last night."

"Mona!" they both gasped at the same time, then looked towards each other to say, "Oh, our baby is growing up so fast!"

"I know!" I giggled to myself, covering my unstoppable smile and my blushing cheeks. "Anyways, you guys are the people I knew I needed to tell. I miss you so much."

"How are you doing, bitch?" Everleigh snatched the phone and put it only on her. "We never really got a chance to talk to you before you moved."

"I'm okay," I shrugged. "Best I can be, I guess. David's mom died, too, so... I have someone to talk about it with."

"Depression bonding is always the best type of bonding," Everleigh, the one who clearly had no filter, told me. She wasn't wrong.

"God, Ev," Giselle took the phone back. "Sorry. She's so stupid. You know you can call us if you ever need anything, right? We'll always be here for you."

"I know," I smiled. "I love you guys. Th—"

"Sweetheart," David knocked on the door, but swung it open anyways. "Oh, sorry."

"David!" Everleigh cheered, taking the phone from Giselle once again. "Come over here! Let us get a good look at you."

David chuckled, strutting over to me with an annoying amount of smugness. He leaned down over my chair, resting his head in the space next to mine. "Hello, ladies." He then tilted his head towards me, placing a light kiss on my cheek and said, "You telling your friends about me already, babe?"

"Shut up," I rolled my eyes, pushing him away from me and the camera. "Thanks for making his head even bigger, guys. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Bye Mona!" Giselle smiled. "We love you!"

I hung up the phone, spinning on the vanity stool to give David a look that showed I was not playing around. I lied, "I talked about you for literally two seconds. Don't get cocky on me."

"Okay," he replied in a tone that suggested he didn't quite believe me. "Are you ready to go? The car's downstairs."

"Yes," I nodded, thankful to just drop the subject all together. Quickly grabbing my purse, I followed him out the hotel room and down the elevator to the car. It was very Gossip Girl-esque, and I was more excited than I let on.

"Today's our last day," David commented, hand resting on my exposed knee. I almost shied away, but told myself I needed to have experiences in my life. Though my new friends' voices were echoing in the back of my head, telling me David was a bad person and that it would never work, my old friends' voices were there too, encouraging me.

At the time, I couldn't tell which ones were the angels and which ones were the devils sitting on my shoulder, telling me what I should and shouldn't do.

At least I know now.

hi i want a bf ok bye xoxo abby