Chapter Fifty-Eight

Konohamaru woke at the sound of his wife crying in her sleep. He tried to comfort her by caressing her cheek and her shoulder, just to let her feel that he was beside her, but when her cries turned violent and she started saying 'I can't see' he panicked and decided to shake her awake. He called for her name a dozen times, but it took a while for her to open her eyes –

"Mana!"

"Anata, I can't see." Mana said.

"Mana –"

"I can't see!"

Turning to their bedside, Konohamaru reached for their lamp and turned it on. Once the room was lightly lit, Konohamaru took Mana's hand with his to calm her –

She's burning up!

"Anata!" Konohamaru called.

Finally calming down, Mana finally had a clear vision of Konohamaru. With trembling hands, she reached for her husband's face and cupped his cheeks.

"Anata..." Mana sobbed. "I thought I was..."

"Mana..."

"I thought I would never see you again..."

Konohamaru brought his wife into his arms and held her to his chest. He felt tears forming at his eyes, but he can't. He can't show his wife, who was vulnerable at the moment, that he was afraid of what was happening and what was to happen.

"Everything's going to be alright, Mana."

~*~

Yuri woke at the smell of food coming from the kitchen. Upon smelling the delicious food that she knew her mother always made at the morning, she jumped out of bed, happy that her mother was back to her feet after five days of bedrest. She ran all the way from her room to the kitched and greeted her mother –

"OKASAN –"

But to Yuri's disappointment, it wasn't her mother that she saw at the kitchen, rather, it was her father.

"Ohayo, Yuri." Konohamaru said.

"Otosan? Where's Okasan?"

"She's still resting."

"Why?"

"Yuri." Kazuto warned his sister.

"What's wrong with Okasan?" Yuri continued with her questioning.

Konohamaru fell silent.

"Yuri, just sit down and eat." Kazuto said. "You'll be late for the Academy."

Glaring at her brother, Yuri walked pass her father and sat at her usual spot and started to eat. Konohamaru settled at the very end of the table and ate with his children, a tensed atmosphere was present in them, especially at Yuri. Once everyone was done eating, Konohamaru walked his children out of the house, he waited until Yuri and Kazuto were gone before he took Itachi to Kurenai's to be watched over, he can't let Itachi know about his mother's state.

~*~

"Yuri!" Kazuto grabbed his sister by her elbow and stopped her on her tracks. "What the hell was that?!"

Yuri shrugged off her brother's hold and walked away, but Kazuto wasn't having any of her attitude. He grabbed her by her shoulder to stop her, but Yuri took his hand and flipped him, luckily, Kazuto quickly got out of his sister's grasp and landed on his feet. Yuri, came at her brother with a powerful kick, and Kazuto blocked it. She continued to attack her brother, and each punch and kick she threw at him he was able to block, when she was about to lock him with her legs and immobilize him, Kazuto grabbed her arms and twisted it to her back.