Chapter 3

Columbus, Ohio 1911

"I would just need a signature here Mr.Cullen." I signed the house documents and was officially the owner of a beautiful two-story colonial house. Most people would call a mansion but it would do for now until I moved again. I was given a set of keys to my house and I quickly made my way back out. My shift at the hospital started soon so I had to get dressed. I only had one suitcase and some knick-knacks but that was it. I got into my white 1908 Ford T that I had gotten 3 years ago when they first released it. It never had a problem and I hoped it stayed like that. The house was outside of town with no neighbors which I smiled at. I quickly put my things away and got dressed for work. I noticed another house about 5 miles away from my house and saw a young girl playing in front of the house. She didn't seem to see me so I didn't wave. The drive was uneventful afterwards and slow to say the least. The local doctor was away on vacation so I was taking his shift. I smiled at various nurses and they blushed but smiled back.
"Miss Platt?" The same young girl perked up and her father rolled her wheelchair towards me.
"This way please." I motioned them to the first available room. I closed the door behind them and waited for the young girl to be on the table. I extended my hand to the father and then Miss Platt.
"My name is Dr.Cullen and I'll be looking at you today. Sorry, poor circulation." I noticed the father flinch at my temperature. I brought up her chart and saw what the receptionist wrote down.
"So, Miss Platt, it says here that you fell?" The young girl nodded and put a hand on her leg.
"I fell from the tree that is in my front yard. I lost my footing and landed on my leg." I nodded at her and applied pressure to her leg in places. I looked at her as I pressed and saw she seemed to wince everywhere I pressed.
"It looks like you broke your leg. I will put it in a brace so that it may heal on it's own. It should be healed in a few months but I will encourage you to check back in with Dr.Grey when he comes back." The father seemed to be angry at his daughter but I could tell he wasn't that mad. I quickly braced her leg and gave her crutches to walk.
"I wrote out a perscription for pain medication if she should need it." I gave Mr.Platt the doctor's note and he thanked me. The young girl gave me bright smile and wrapped her arms around me. I stiffened and forced out a laugh at her actions.
"Esme leave the doctor alone." Mr.Platt pulled Esme off me and I gave her a friendly smile before I turned around and called the next patient.

~Chicago 1918~

   I was currently helping an overcrowded hospital that had been hit with the Spanish influenza. The staff itself was struggling with how many people were pouring in. The hallways were crowded with beds and chairs to accompany the growing number of patients. I was trying to make my rounds but every other bed needed assistance. I quickly made my way down and got to the nurses station and only saw Molly there.
"Where is everyone else?" Molly started coughing and turned away from me. I quickly moved towards her and rubbed her back.
"I'm sorry. Everyone else is switching so they'll be back in about 5 minutes." She started coughing again and I kept rubbing her back. Rebecca came around the corner and I motioned her over.
"Could you make sure she gets home? She needs to rest and get better." Rebecca nodded and left with her. I grabbed the files she was fiddling with and saw it was the ones in the worse wing. Molly does have the influenza and I felt bad for her. I picked a few and went to look at her patients. One of the women, Elizabeth Masen, grabbed my arm as I stood up from checking her vitals.
"P-lease....save...him...." She looked into my eyes and pleaded. I looked across the aisle and saw her son, Edward was laying looking around seeming lucid. I looked back at Elizabeth and gripped her other hand.
"I'll try." She smiled and tried squeezing back.
"You...can...savior.." I was internally screaming. I've never changed anyone how was I supposed to do it. I untangled myself from the mother and turned to Edward. This is a curse, not a blessing. He would die if I let him but I've been alone for so long. I gripped Edwards hand and pulled myself up to his neck.
"I'll make this stop, I'll make it stop..." I bit down hard and his grip tightened, or did my hand tighten. I pulled myself off of him and covered my mouth trying to wipe the blood off. I was sitting on the floor for a minute until I realized where I was and what I did. I picked up his writhing body from the cot and quickly ran through a window to get him to the house. I'd have to find him clothes to wear but that would have to wait. I kicked open my front door and laid him on the couch. I closed the door back as he let out a piercing scream from the pain. I was pulling at my hair hoping I would go bald. I should've let him die but his mother and his face. I couldn't let him die when this was a second chance. I sat down on the other couch and just listened to him scream as penance. This is my torture for condeming another to this life of solitude.