(Ch 13) It Started with Forgiveness

Start from the beginning

Thankfully, Jackie’s rational voice in the matter had them reconsidering. She’d made them a deal of sorts. She informed them that parent’s day was right around the corner and asked that they give me until then before they made a decision to take me home. If they still felt they wanted me to go home then I would have to go quietly.

My mom still wasn’t to keen on the idea, but after Jackie assured her that she’d keep a close eye on me, my mom was sold and they agreed to let me stay. Of course I’d had to appease my mom a bit more before I ended the call.

I now rubbed at my eyes sleepily, grateful when the car came to a stop inside campus. Jackie walked us to our room, coming to a stop outside our building.

“Well this was an eventful night.” she stated. “I’m sorry you had to miss the bonfire girls.”

“We are too, but I guess a bleeding hand takes precedence.” I joked trying to lighten the mood. It didn’t work.

“You can rest assured that those two boys will be punished for this.” she frowned. “Never had I expected such behaviour from them.”

“You and me both.” Raina added. “Though Tommy was more of a shocker though.”

I almost laughed. Almost. Deep down I knew it was partially my fault they’d been at each others throats. If I hadn’t been kissing Tommy in the first place none of this would have happened. Or maybe it would have, I don’t know. I guess it wouldn’t have gotten this out of hand.

“I hope you’re not too harsh on them.” I said.

Raina frowned at me. “Harsh? Aria, if it hadn’t for them, you never would have had to take a trip to the emergency room. They deserve their punishment.”

“Raina’s right.” Jackie agreed. “They knew the rules. And just because Scott it my nephew, doesn’t mean I’ll go easy on him either.”

I froze, unable to believe she actually said that in front of Raina, who seemed to be taking this new piece of information well, on the outside at least. If she was stunned by this she betrayed nothing.

“You girls better be off to bed now. I’ll see you in the morning. Oh and I’ll excuse you from class tomorrow. I’m sure you two are exhausted.”

“Yes, thank you, Jackie.” I said with a smile.

The warm smile she returned somehow made me feel better. “You’re most welcome.” She turned to Raina. “If there are any problems during the night come straight to me.”

“Sure, goodnight, Jackie.”

We were about to head up the steps when Jackie held me back. “I’ll be right there.” I said to Raina, than turned to Jackie again. “Why’d you say that? Nobody except me knows about Scott’s relation to you.”

She leaned closer to me and whispered. “Yes, but I figured you could use a friend tonight and if I know you well enough, Aria, I’d say you’d keep her out of the loop just to protect someone else’s secret. It’s a heavy load you carry, Aria. It’s okay to share it with somebody else. Besides, what’s the harm of people knowing my relation to Scott?”

She winked at me and said goodnight.

“Goodnight.”

I considered what she said and I couldn’t deny that I really wanted to tell Raina the truth. She was a good listener when it came to these things and I hated keeping things from her when she was always honest with me.

No, there was no harm in telling. Who would she tell? Blaine? I had no worries with him. Besides, I didn’t have to give her the full blown version just enough so that I wouldn’t be betraying Scott’s confidence and keeping her out of the loop.