Chapter Three

Valerie is wide awake by the time her routine doctor, Dr. Jacobs, comes around.

She can hear his whistling from all the way down the hall, accompanied by the slamming of metal doors being opened and closed.

She pulls the needle out she stole from the nurses from under her pillow, smiling maniacally. She palms the needle in anticipation, imagining what she would do with her oblivious doctor when she finally had him in her grasp.

She tucks the needle in her waist band as the boom of her neighbour's door rings into her ears. She can hear him through the thin wall, asking the man in the cell questions.

She almost breaks in laughter as he yelps in surprise as the man sticks him in the side with the rusty nail Valerie helped him get.

A string of curses erupts from the hall, followed by a slam of the heavy door.

Now, he will never expect another patient to assault him, as it usually happens only once per week, as an attempt to escape.

Suddenly, he bursts into her room, a scowl on his usually happy face. Valerie crosses her arms, placing one hand over the needle through her pale blue clothing.

"I have not been having a good day, Valerie," He mutters, not really talking to her, more to himself. "First the new patients and now the nail."

Valerie smirks and point shakily at her bedside table, pretending to be slightly delirious. After a couple moments, Dr. Jacobs finally notices the she has been moving and smiles kindly while he heads over to her table, right into her trap.

"What do you need Val? There is nothing he-" He starts, turning around to face her. When he does, she quickly stands and pulls out the needle.

Waves of pleasure hit her as his eyes widen, stepping back and putting his shaking hands up.

"Nighty night Doc." She whispers menacingly before sticking the needle into the side of his neck, dragging it forwards before pulling the bloody needle out, causing a small spurt of blood to escape his body before he flops to the ground, his eyes are closing and his breathing is deep and heavy.

A bubbling laugh escapes her as she drags his limp body over to the wall, knowing that the drug won't last long.

When his body is out of view, she removes all of the needles and knives from his waistband, her smile gleaming off the reflective surface. She then sits down and waits for her next victim to wake up.

~~~~~~~~~~

Kate's eyes flutter open, causing her to wince as she looks around the bright room.

The same shelf, the same bunk beds, the same handcuffs. She sighs in disappointment, her hope of it being a dream is gone.

Suddenly, the metal door slams open, revealing a wrinkly old nurse. She squints around the room and shakes her head. Hobbling over to Kate's side, she taps her wrist watch uncaringly.

"Hon, you can't be making noise at night or the duct tape will be a permanent fixture." She wheezes out, her fingers brushing the side of Kate's mouth, peeling the corner of the duct tape off of her mouth.

Kate's heart soars with the prospect of being let out and she tries to tell the nurse to free her.

Once the nurse has a large corner of the duct tape peeled off of Kate's skin, she points up, drawing Kate's attention. The moment her eyes flutter away from the rustic old lady, a sharp pain speeds across her face, accompanied by a loud rip. A loud moan escapes Kate's lips and the nurse hobbles over to the shelf, grabbing a clip board.