21. Questions

“Why did you not leave me?”

It was way past 3 am and she sat there in the hospital, dozing off in the sleeper couch in the patient’s room. He was shifted from ICCU a couple of days back but was still kept under medication.

They were told he couldn’t walk for a while due to the fracture, but otherwise he was no more in danger.

And that small window when she had thought a fear grip her, when she lost her mind and let herself hold his hand all the way to the hospital, that window was coming to close.

She wasn’t particularly in love with Dev.

She wasn’t looking for love, nor to marry for that matter.

They were a lot of things; him and her, but lovers were not one of those. There had always been a veil between them, something that held both of them back.

Maybe it was their insecurities.

In the three years of their marriage, they never grew out of the ties that bound them and she had realized that they have never grown close, nor had grown together like other couples.

There were moments of intimacy, but it was more physical than anything else.

It surprised herself that when she got that call about Dev’s accident, how she had driven to the ambulance and then to the hospital with an unconscious Dev.

She had faced a moment of dementia, and if she was honest with herself, a moment when she was scared…scared that she might lose him.

Here and now, when she woke up disoriented in the middle of the night, after three nights to the accident, she had observed he was awake and was trying to fetch himself a glass of water.

She had gotten up and went to the jug of water, and poured the water wordlessly, and had handed it to him in silence.

She had helped him in siting up, with pillows backing him, and when he was drinking water, she had gone to charge her phone.

She took the glass back and was meaning to go to her couch when she had heard his voice.

“Why did you not leave me?” he had asked then.

They both knew he wasn’t talking about her staying in the hospital.

“I am realizing I am a masochist” she had told him uncharacteristically and went back to her couch to sleep.

And Dev lied back on his bed, thankful that the medication could help him to the sleep that wouldn’t grace him otherwise.