20. Celestial Nymph

Maan was sipping his tea when his Dadi bought the topic he hated.

His marriage.

This time however, it wasn’t a plea to meet girls. She changed tactics. She was producing pictures but she didn’t do a thorough homework on the girls. There was a light twinkle in her eyes as if she had a trump card to play.

Maan was far from being an idiot so he waited.

“How about this girl?” She produced another picture and Maan took it and looked at it interested.

“Hmm” he said meditatively. “Beautiful. What’s her name?”

Savitri Devi fumbled.

“Uh” she said taking the photograph back to check.

“Parineeta”

“Beautiful name too” he commented, scaring off Savitri Devi.

“You like her?”

He shrugged.

“You seem pretty disappointed” Maan ventured carefully.

“Nothing like that” she bounced back, placing the picture on the table before them.

“She’s a little too thin”

Maan laughed. “Where are the feminist speeches when I want them?” He said mildly curious. “Who are you and what did you do to my Dadi?”

“Not that I mind. She’s pretty” Savitri Devi said chagrined. “Just that I thought she isn’t your type”

“My type” Maan said totally amused now. “I have a type now. Wow. What’s my type Dadi?”

Over the next few minutes Savitri Devi described not so subtly about naivete and earthy beauty and someone who could speak their mind. Even nuclear bombs are subtler than his Dadi, he thought fondly.

“Stop describing that wildcat” he said mustering as much irritation as possible in his voice.

“Who?” Savitri Devi was all innocence “Geet?”

The said Geet however was passing by, stopped dead at her name being taken.

“Yeah that same one” Maan said bored.

“I wasn’t describing her in particular” she said with a casual air, which made Maan really appreciate her acting skills.

“But now you say it, she does fit the bill”

“Yeah except one little detail” Maan said getting up.

“You got the beauty part wrong. She is no celestial nymph. Just below average”

And with that he visibly broke the older woman’s dreams and a younger woman’s heart that was listening to the conversation.

——

Geet stood before the full length mirror checking herself.