16. Burglars and Tenants - 2

The next couple of minutes went as fast as possible but still, time slowed down, registering each and every second of it.

She was aiming for a punch but ended up having her fist loose, making her nails draw blood upon touching the face of the supposed burglar.

The burglar to his credit, even though didn't see it coming, had become alert the moment he heard a war cry and had shifted his weight until he had the assaulter to be pressed between himself and the wall, his palms closing the assaulter's mouth.

Geet squirmed in the supposed deadlock she was in, her free hand feeling the wall until they landed on the switches that illuminated the room.

It took both of them a moment to come in terms with what exactly had happened.

Maan and Geet stood there, him with a fresh wound to the side of his mouth, two nails drawing a perfect arc of blood that sure would result in a scar, and her being have her one arm twisted behind her, his body pressing himself against her to stop her from escaping his hold, his strong palm covering her mouth.

She blinked her pretty eyes twice before pushing him indicating him to release her, which didn't budge him for even an inch.

He didn't release her however.

He looked at her big beautiful hazel eyes that panicked first but now were showing a great deal of relief as if she didn't mind because it's him. There's a weird thump in his heart at that.

Up this close, he was totally aware of the softness of her lips that were crushing under his palm, the warmth of her breath and the sheen of sweat that broke on her forehead.

He heard her mumbled gibberish of a whisper which made no sense to him.

"What?" He asked coming out of his stupor.

She mumbled something again and it made him bite on his smile now. He started to enjoy this.

In a move that both surprised and caught him off guard, she released her hand that was held in his, twisted behind her, and pushed him with all her might until he stumbled backwards.

"What the hell!"

She was huffing over the momentary breathlessness, but at his outburst looked at him incredulous.

"I think it's I, who should be offended"

"Oh really? Pray tell me why"

"You broke into my house at the middle of the night and–"

A sudden burst of laughter stopped her tirade and she looked at him first surprised and then totally enamored by the rarity of it. She had never seen him laugh except but in that one black and white picture she had confiscated.

She almost didn't mind that he was laughing at something she had said or done.

"Your house?" He asked with the raise of an eyebrow, and with his arms folded across his chest.

"Yes I rented this place out from Dadima"

"Dadima" Maan said deep in thought. "Now who would that be"

"Savitri Devi"

"Of course she's your Dadi now. What recent developments did I miss in the last week? Did you suddenly develop the ability to fly as well?"

If she could, she would do anything to wipe that sarcastic smirk off her face.

"Maybe I did. Why should I tell you?"

"Excuse me. Are you aware of whom you're talking to?"

"Yes. Maan Singh Khurana, MD of Khurana constructions, Vasant kunj, New Delhi"

"You forgot the pincode"

She ignored the jab.

"I am aware I am your employee but this is past office hours and I am free to do whatever I want. At least I have freedom to punch whomsoever that would break into my house"

"Your house" Maan said still unable to wrap his head over her entire tirade.

"Did your beloved Dadima mention anything about this place being already occupied"

"Yes, she mentioned about a tenant who isn't vacating this place and giving her a headache"

"And you thought to intervene because?"

"I wanted to help her. Plus I like this place"

Maan nodded, faking he understood her point. Geet had a tiny suspicion he was biting back all the sarcasm that might be overflowing in his head.

"And how do you propose to do that? How would you kick this tenant out?"

"I have a rental agreement made between Dadi and I" Geet said so proud and Maan just caught his head feeling a pounding headache.

"Of course you did." He said with a defeated sigh. "And that indeed is going to miraculously solve the problem"

"Why are you here?" Asked Geet belatedly, ignoring his sarcasm. "How did you know I shifted here?"

"I am really touched that you think I made an effort to know where you live to break into your house at midnight" he said with a solemn face. "But sorry to disappoint you, I have better things to do"

Geet looked at him offended. He was making fun of her again.

When she wanted to give her two cents to him, she observed the marks she left on his face and the blood that was oozing out.

She slapped her palms to her mouth as she realized she hurt him.

Fascinated by her reaction, he checked out his reflection in the glass window by the side.

"And the so called tenant your beloved Dadima mentioned is I" he told walking closer until she was backed against the wall.

Picking up the edge of her veil, he pressed it to the side of his jaw, where he was bleeding.

"And she is my grandmother by the way, if you haven't figured that out already"